BearWare is now dedicated to Chromebook Information.
Traditionally with a Chromebook, you do everything on the web. Even better, todays web apps and services are so good that they allow you to do virtually everything you could do with your old computer offline or online. Non-traditionally you can do much more.
The OL prefix means off-line capable.
- [Audio App] Audio Cut Audio Cutter allows you to effortlessly cut out a desired musical fragment from an MP3 file or a file in other formats, in order, for example to set it up as a customized ringtone for your mobile phone. Support of all major audio and video formats. Cut sound from a video file. Fade-in and fade-out functions
- OL[Graphics App] Diagrams Lucidchart is the easiest way to draw flowcharts, mockups, UML, mind maps and more. Work together in real time with your team and clients. Lucidchart is an HTML5-based visual collaboration tool that makes drawing diagrams fast and easy. Work together with an unlimited number of others to create and edit diagrams in real time, with changes merged and synced instantaneously -- great for team collaboration and working with clients.
- OL[Graphics App] Image Editor Pixlr presents a full featured photo editor direct in your browser. Red eye reduction, spot heal tool, drawing tools, clone tools, sharpen and blur tools and many more. The filters include mimic HDR, glamor glow, tilt-shift, Gaussian blur, vignette, noise and lots of more. The Adjustments include some advanced concepts like Levels, Curves, Cross process, Desaturate, Auto levels, Hue/Saturation and Brightness/Contrast. The editor is capable of open PSD files and paste from your clipboard!
- [Internet App] Cloud Storage Jolidrive Jolidrive is a powerful app that lets you access all of your cloud data from a single location. Jolidrive supports: Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, SkyDrive, Flickr, Instagram, Picasa, Vimeo, YouTube, SoundCloud, Facebook, Google+, Tumblr, Instapaper, Pocket, and Readability - all in one place.
- [Utility App] Cooking m.easur.es lets you convert recipe measurements within seconds – without all the extra work and frustrating manual calculations. Simply paste in a recipe from any online source into the app and the natural language parser will detect the different measurements of the ingredients and allow you to easily manipulate each one or change them all into whatever you have handy.
- [Internet Ext] Voice Google Voice Search - OK Google Now you can talk to Google when you’re using Chrome. Hands-free. No typing. Simply visit Google.com on Chrome, say “Ok Google” and then ask your question. Note: this extension sends your question to Google only when it hears the phrase "Ok Google." Does not yet work for the Samsung series 3, 11 or 550.
- [Internet Ext] Voice GooNow enhances OKGoogle by placing a mic icon at the end of the URL address in the omnibox. Clicking it immediately brings you to a Google.com search page where you can start talking with OK Google.
- OL[Security] Encryption unreadable A simple text encryption tool. Sender: Write text in unreadable, create a password and encrypt the text, Copy and paste encrypted text into document and send, Communicate the password to the communication partner by telephone letter or in direct conversation. Receiver: go to www.unreadable.de or download the app, Copy encrypted text into the app, Enter the password and decrypt the text. -- With the app, encrypted texts can be sent by Email, USB, CD, DVD, Bluray, stored in a file, Facebook, Android, iOS, BlackBerry, FireFox OS,Chrome OS, Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, or anything that has a web browser.
- OL[Security] Password Manager+ SecuStore SecuStore is a cross-platform password manager and secure storage utility. It has a password generator and cloud synchronization allowing you to use it for much more than just storing passwords. You can synchronize your encrypted data with your personal Dropbox account and access it any time from any of your devices. You can split your data into multiple sets with individual master passwords. Store any kind of data by creating your own customized templates! Import data from other apps using SecuStores ability to import any kind of CSV file!
- [Webware] Video Live Streaming Bambuser is A Simple Live Streaming Interface, but No Frills. It's strengths include overall ease of use, support for over 300 mobile devices for broadcasting and playback, the ability to deliver multiple video streams, and a compact embedded player. Whatever video you are making is streamed and saved live in your Bambuser account. You cam make it private or public.
- [Office App] Converter Instant Unit Converters will convert Length, Weight, Volume, Temperature, Area, Distance, Pressure, Energy, Force, Time, Velocity, Angle, Fuel Consumption, Numbers, Data Storage.
- OL[Graphics App] Screen Ruler Edge is an on-screen ruler that supports multiple units, horizontal and vertical orientation, and looks like a native application. Support for pixels, inches, and centimeters. Both Horizontal and Vertical rulers. Move the ruler with your arrow keys. Calibrate the ruler with your screen size. Exists separately from any browser tab. Easily resizable.
- OL[Graphics App] Model Scaler Model Scaler is a fast, easy and efficient scale model conversion tool. Quickly convert U.S. Customary and Metric measurements into any scale. Perfect for all scale modelers and tabletop gamers.
- [Webware] Image CAD Graphics AutoCAD 360 is a free, easy-to-use sketching and drafting app that enables you to quickly view, create, edit, and share drawings using your web browser. It makes it easy to quickly sketch and document ideas, with no advanced CAD expertise required. But don't let its simplicity fool you: AutoCAD 360 delivers the power professionals need to access drawings anytime, anywhere to view, edit, and share with others.
- [Internet Ext] Shopping Amazon 1Button official Amazon extension which allows you to get special offers and features right at your fingertips with The Amazon 1Button App for Chrome. View price comparisons while shopping online, search Amazon and the Web at the same time, get a head-start on deals, and more. Today’s deals: Get a ten minute head start. Top ten: Check out what’s popular across categories. Add to Wish List: Easily build your Wish List around the Web. Price Compare: View alerts while shopping online. Amazon Smart Search: Search Amazon and the Web at the same time. Cloud Player: Play your digital music anywhere. Cloud Drive: Easily access your files. Cloud Reader: Read Kindle books instantly in your Web browser.
- [Audio App] Audio Editor TwistedWave is a full featured audio editor that allows you to: Edit audio files from your computer or your Google Drive, Apply effects, Save in one of many supported file formats, and export the file back to your disk, Google Drive or SoundCloud.
- [Webware] Image Raw Converter RAW Converter allows you to convert RAW to JPG, GIF, PNG, and TIFF. You can add files of the following formats: crw, cr2, nef, raf, dng, mos, kdc and dcr.
- [Webware] PDF Editor PDF converter allows you to Create and convert PDF files online. Convert files to PDF. Combine files to PDF. Web to PDF. PDF to Word. PDF to Images.
- [Webware] Image Editor Tag Thexifer is a TIFF and JPG tag editor. If you upload one picture, the editor will read the embedded EXIF information (if any) in order to edit them, otherwise if you upload multiple files, the form will be blank and any changes will be applied to all photos. You can select up to 10 files for each upload and the maximum file size is 15MB.
- [Webware] MP3 Tag Watermark-Images.com is an online MP3 tag editor and a lot more like batch watermark images, watermark PDF, Image Editor, PSD to JPG, TGA to JPG, SVG to PNG, TIFF to JPG, EPS to JPG, CR2 to JPG, NEF to JPG, PNG to JPG, RAR to ZIP, BMP to JPG, XML to CSV, EPUB to PDF, Excel to HTML, RTF to PDF, PSD to PDF, and XCF to JPG
- [Utility Ext] No Sleep Keep Awake makes it easy to temporarily disable power management on Chrome OS. It adds an icon in the upper-right corner of the browser that can be clicked to switch between modes where the screen is kept on (sun icon), the system is prevented from sleeping (sunse
- [Internet App] Web Marker Diigo Web is an award-winning service that can serve as your digital library on web. Bookmark and archive webpages. Annotate webpages with highlights & sticky notes. Save notes or to-dos using our slick Quick Note app. Capture and Annotate Screenshot. Easily find or share everything.
- [Office App] Finance ClearCheckbook is an extremely easy way to balance your checkbook online, track your spending, set a budget, manage your money and more. As an online checkbook, you enter your receipts into the site and assign each transaction to an account and category. You can go back through the online checkbook register and mark transactions as "Jived" (our word for cleared/balanced/etc). This way you will always know what transactions have been cleared with the bank and how much money you have. We also use the account/categories you assign a transaction to generate reports and use them for your budgets.
- [Webware] File Viewer DocDroid is a completely free online document uploading, conversion and sharing tool. Upload documents in nearly any format. Share the document via eMail, Twitter or Facebook. Fast preview of the uploaded document for readers. Let the reader choose in which format he wants to download the document. Multiple file upload is possible. Password protection is possible. Supported formats: PDF, DOCX, DOC, ODT, RTF, OTT, XLS, XLSX, TXT, PPT, PPTX, ODP and more!. Documents can be deleted by you or are deleted after 60 days without view.
- [Internet Ext] Chat Barc is a free and simple tool that lets you chat with other people who are browsing the same website. Share pictures, videos,and music all within the chat. Users can live stream their Webcam and microphone (using WebRTC). Make rich interactive polls inside the chat. Chat as a guest or login using popular Social Media. Create private chats rooms which can be permanently deleted. Use real-time language translation to chat with people in different languages. (Video)
- [Office App] PDF PDF Mergy provides a simple way to merge PDF files. You can either select the files you want to merge from you computer or drop them on the app using drag and drop. After that use drag and drop to bring the files in the desired order. The resulting merged PDF file will contain all Documents in the order as they appear on the screen. When done, press merge to initiate merging.
- OL[Web Development] Text Editor Caret is a Professional IDE graphical text editor modeled on Sublime Text, running completely offline (no Internet connection required) and capable of opening and saving files anywhere on your hard drive. Tabbed editing, syntax highlighting for many languages, and lots of color themes, hackable settings files in JSON format, remembers/restores open tabs (requires Chrome 31 for full support), open files directly from the Chrome OS file manager, Project view with folder navigation and project-specific settings files (requires Chrome 31), Sublime-compatible keymappings, including multiple cursors and selections, Command palette/smart "go to" functionality.
- [Office App] Graphs Plotly makes better graphs and fits of your data than Excel or other online options.
- [Graphics App] 3D Design DesignSomething is a 3D modeling application running on Chrome and Firefox. It is easy to use, fun and powerful. Plugin free, pure HTML5. Build model using pre-defined shapes. Create shapes from 2D sketch using advanced modeling tools like extrude and sweep. Enable bottom up design. Is able to design parts first then assemble them. Do design offline. Iwas able to save model in local and save to cloud when online. Share your design in cloud. Import STL files. Export your design to STL for 3D printing. View designs created by others.
- OL[Graphics App+Ext] Screenshot Snagit Ext *The Snagit for Google Chrome Extension* makes it possible for you to capture images within your Chrome browser. In order to edit, share, and manage your captures, you’ll need to download the Snagit for Google Chrome Application. Snagit App *The Snagit for Google Chrome Application* lets you edit, share, and collaborate around your screen captures. Plus, use the Snagit for Google Chrome™ library to view and manage your captures anywhere. In order to capture images from your Chrome browser, you’ll need to download the Snagit for Google Chrome Extension.
- [Video App] Video Editor WeVideo makes video editing easy for everyone and accessible from anywhere. Three Editing Modes: Storyboard, Timeline and Advanced mode. Drag and drop media files in any order to assemble your story. Trim video clips to focus on key moments. Split long clips into smaller ones and re-arrange. Enter text for titles and captions. Add text, effects, music, transitions and more. Record voice-overs and video directly. Get creative with over 100 royalty-free effects and audio clips. Style your video using dozens of creative and professional Themes. WeVideo adds a folder called "WeVideo" to your Google Drive directory.
- OL[Office App] Notes Quick Note has become one of my favorite Apps. I use Google Drive and Evernote a lot, but for something very quick I really like Quick Note. I mainly like it because I use XFCE to access Usenet and FTP mostly and all of us that do use Linux side-by-side ChromeOs understand that the clipboard doesn't carry over between the two. The downloads folder does, but not the clipboard. Quick Note allows you to quickly add clipboard info, and sync it online, hop over to XFCE or back to ChromeOS pick up the message. Once you pop a note into Quick Note and before you hop over, click the sync now button on the upper right to insure the note is there or updated before you make the hop. It can be used off-line also.
- [ChromeOS] Chromebook Setup How to set up your ChromebookGottaBeMoblile offers a very good walk through including videos on how to set up your Chromebook.
New Acer C720P Touchscreen Chromebook
The new Acer C720P Touchscreen Chromebook just became available for pre-order on Amazon. It will ship in mid-December and availability will be limited. Orders will be processed on a first come, first served basis and may not arrive before December 25th.
Acer C720P Chromebook (11.6-Inch Touchscreen, Haswell micro-architecture, 2GB) $299.99 and FREE Shipping from Amazon.If you are not sure which Chromebook you want, the key is the Haswell chip today. The only difference between any Chromebook is the Hardware. The best value IMO for today is the $199 Acer C720 2GB all things considered.
Microsoft perceives the Chromebook as a huge threat
Nov 27, 2013: Microsoft just released a Chromebook video smear campaign (you can watch here) that actually demonstrates how much of a threat to them the Chromebook is. I find it outrageous and full of misinformation. I could buy a Chromebook and a ticket to Hollywood for the price of a decent Windows machine and have none of the management and malware hassles of a Windows box.
Why Microsoft is attacking Chromebooks. This is the fairest and most factual article I've yet seen.
Chris Pirillo quickly released a video rebuttal to Microsoft's unseemly smear campaign. (Watch that video here)
ZDnet rebuttal: Microsoft is missing the point with Chromebooks
A backlash against Microsoft's sleazy advertisement is increasing, as lots of articles against their pawnshop classless video are popping up.
Click on the source link below both graphs and you can change the statistic from Browser to Browser Version, Browser Version (Partially Combined), Mobile Browser, Operating System, Mobile OS, Search Engine, Mobile Search, Mobile vs. Desktop, Screen Resolution, Mobile Screen Resolution, Social Media, Digg vs Reddit, or Mobile Vendor (Beta).
Top Browsers Per Country, December 2013
BearWare indirectly began development in 1980 when I purchased my first computer, created from a list of freeware I maintained prior to BearWare. One of my interests has been free applications or services for PC's and I've maintained due vigilance to find, research and document the best for my own personal repository. If I discover better software for a category, I replace the current holder of that category.
Friends, family and coworkers discovered I maintained such a list and requested that I send the file to them every time I updated it. As I frequently updated the list, I created a website for those who wished the data. Bearware's theme lists the best freeware and services in category, easy navigation, no ads, and no pop-ups or monetization of any kind. It's primarily a tool for my use which I share as others may find it useful.
Now I have moved on and away from Windows. I do not believe the Windows Operating Systems are the near future for general home use. I love the freedom of my Chromebook, free from the tedious maintenance required for Windows...and the malware. I now dedicate my efforts and support for the Chrome Browser and Chromebooks (ChromeOS.)