Hard Drive Freeware
- Custom Install nLite Windows 2000/XP/2003 32/64bit installation Customizer. .NET 2.0 required.
- Custom Install vLite Windows Vista Installation Customizer. Win Vista/2008/7/8.
- Custom Install 7Lite RT Se7en Lite is developed by Rockers Team to customize windows 7 operating system and to make it lite. You can add wallpapers, Icons, themes, integrate updates, drivers, language packs, applications, remove components, enable or disable features, unattended installation settings, bootable ISO and USB creator , etc. It will be very easy to operate and changing the style of your windows 7 operating system. Win 7 32/64 bit.
- Defrag UltraDefrag is a powerful Open Source Defragmentation tool for the Windows Platform. It can defragment any system files and system meta files including registry hives and paging file. Also one of the main goals of UltraDefrag is doing the job as fast and reliable as possible. Currently FAT, exFAT and NTFS are supported. 'Full optimization' of the drive, which processes all files despite of their fragmentation, 'Quick optimization' of the drive, which mainly processes fragmented files and 'MFT optimization' which processes the MFT only. Drives needed to be checked by CHKDSK are excluded so best to run CHKDSK first (type CHKDSK in your Start Button>Search Box). Three interfaces are available: Boot Time, Console and GUI. It installs to the Windows/UltraDefrag directory. Portable version. Size: 1.6MB. Win NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008/7/8. 32/64bit.
- Defrag Puran Defrag is a powerful yet very simple disk defragmenter which will defrag the files and optimize your system, collecting all the fragments of a file and putting them together, as well as moving some frequently used files and all directories to faster disk areas. This process boosts your hard disk performance and thus overall system speed. In addition it reduces wear and tear on your hard disk, thereby increasing its life span. Puran Intelligent Optimizer - PIOZR, Directories Consolidation for speed boost, Automatic Defragmentation for worry free defrag, Boot Time Defragmentation for system files like MFT -pagefile - registry, Low Priority Defrag for work while defrag experience, Individual File/Folder Defrag for selective defrag, GUI and Console Command Line Defrag Supported, Restart/Shutdown After Boot Time Defragmentation, File/Folder Exclusion or exclusion by wildcard facility. Win XP/2003/Vista/2008/7 32/64bit.
- Defrag Defraggler Defrag entire drives or select individual files and folders to defrag. Very fast. Portable. Win 2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7 32/64bit.
- Disk Cloning RawCopy copies a disk as a raw image from one drive directly to another. This utility is designed for people who have faulty drive and want to transfer the data directly to another drive without doing a file by file copy. This saves the need for operating system re-installs and allows drives with an unknown file system to be copied (including from console game machines, data recorders, Mac etc). The program has a built in data recovery function which will attempt to recover data from bad sectors to ensure all the available data is restored from the drive. This program is designed to run under NT/XP/2000 or later operating systems. It will run under windows 95/98/Me operating systems but only windows logical drives can be copied.
- Erase Free Space SDelete overwrites deleted file's on-disk data using techniques that are shown to make disk data unrecoverable, even using recovery technology that can read patterns in magnetic media that reveal weakly deleted files. You can use SDelete both to securely delete existing files, as well as to securely erase any file data that exists in the unallocated portions of a disk (including files that you have already deleted or encrypted). SDelete implements the Department of Defense clearing and sanitizing standard DOD 5220.22-M, to give you confidence that once deleted with SDelete, your file data is gone forever. Note that SDelete securely deletes file data, but not file names located in free disk space. It must be run from the CMD with the following parameter: PATH>sdelete.exe -c F: or c:\users\bear\desktop\sdelete>sdelete.exe -c F: where F is the letter of the drive you wish to attack. SDelete is set by default for 1 pass which is good enough according to current belief.
- Erase Hard Drive/Partitions/Folder/Files Hardwipe is a free file wiper and drive cleaner for Windows. It can be used to permanently erase, or to "hard wipe", data on disk and portable storage media (i.e. USB drives and memory sticks) in order to prevent personal or sensitive business information from ever being recovered. It can wipe entire drives, wipe files individually, and sanitize unused drive space. It runs from within the OS and supports right-click context menus in Windows Explorer or you can simply run it. Size: 6MB. Win XP/Vista/7/8/8.
- Erase Hard Drive DiskWipe will erase all disk data on any partition and prevent recovery of that data. Formatting a hard drive with the regular method leaves the possibility open to recover data from that partition. Disk Wipe uses powerful algorithms which fill the volume with useless binary data multiple times making it virtually impossible for anyone to recover any data from that disk. You cannot wipe a partition you have mounted such as the operating system you are logged into, so you should access that partition from a dual operating system which is installed on another partition or disk drive or computer. You can install Disk Wipe on a bootable CD, boot to it and erase your active partition from that. Portable. Size: 966 KB. Win XP/Vista/7/8. 32/64bit.
- Erase Hard Drive DBAN Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN) is a self-contained boot disk that securely wipes the hard disks of most computers. DBAN will automatically and completely delete the contents of any hard disk that it can detect, which makes it an appropriate utility for bulk or emergency data destruction. Win 95/98/ME/NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Health HDDScan is a freeware utility for hard drive diagnostics (RAID arrays, Flash USB and SSD drives are also supported). The program can test storage device for errors (Bad-blocks and bad sectors), show S.M.A.R.T. attributes and change some HDD parameters such as AAM, APM, etc. HDDScan can be useful for performing the regular "health test" for your drive and predicting its degradation, so you will be able to prevent data loss and backup your files before you will have to contact the data recovery service. Additionally, software can be used as the hard disk temperature monitor and reading/writing benchmark ֠performance graph is displayed for every test. Portable. Size: 4.7MB. Win 2000/XP/Vista/7/8.
- Health CrystalDiskInfo enables you to keep an eye on your hard drives' health in the background, providing you with a health rating based on its SMART status, as well as information about each drives temperature. What gives CrystalDiskMonitor the edge over similar products is the fact it can also monitor external USB and FireWire drives, so your essential backup device is also covered. Also Portable. Size: 2.5 MB. Win 2000/XP/2003/Vista/7/8. 32/64 bit.
- Health SpeedFan Monitors voltages, fan speeds and temperatures in computers with hardware monitor chips. SpeedFan can even access S.M.A.R.T. info for those hard disks that support this feature. Win 95/98/ME/NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Health HD Speed measures both sustained and burst data transfer rates of your hard disks, CD/DVD-ROMs, flash cards/sticks, floppies, etc. Real-time graphical display. Select the drive and hit start. The read/write results show up as a graph and also as real values. An 80KB portable utility. Win NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Health HDTune Test your hard drives health, temperature, errors, and benchmark performance. Win 2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- ★Partition Manager Aomei Partition Assistant Home Edition is the latest hard disk partition manager and completely free for personal and commercial use. It carries out magic hard disk and partitions management, advanced system optimization, and easy copy wizard to keep your computer running smoothly and faster. It has the ability to resize and move partition, extend system drive, merge partitions, split partition, allocate free space, copy partition, copy disk on MBR and GPT disk, with all data protected. Size: 3MB. Win 2000/XP/Vista/7/8/8. 32/64bit.
- Partition Manager MiniTool Partition Wizard performs complicated partition operations by using this powerful yet free partition manager to manage their hard disk. Functions include: Resizing partitions, Copying partitions, Create partition, Delete partition, Format partition, Convert partition, Explore partition, Hide partition, Change drive letter, Set active partition, Partition Recovery. Size: 10.5MB. Win 2000/XP/Vista/7/8. 32/64bit.
- Partition Manager EASEUS Partition Manager EASEUS Partition Manager is a comprehensive hard disk partition management software for Windows 2000/2003 Server and Windows 2000/XP/Vista partition to Resize and Move, Create, Delete and Format, Hide and Unhide server and non server partitions and much more. Win 2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Partition Recovery Partition Find and Mount Finds lost or deleted partitions by scanning the storage device and looking for specific signatures that represent the beginning of a partition. It does not rely on the information stored in the Master Boot Record (MBR), thus allowing you to find partitions even in case you repartition your drive. Win 2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Partition Recovery TestDisk is powerful free data recovery software! It was primarily designed to help recover lost partitions and/or make non-booting disks bootable again when these symptoms are caused by faulty software, certain types of viruses or human error (such as accidentally deleting a Partition Table). Partition table recovery using TestDisk is really easy. Portable. Size: 5.12MB. Win All.
- SSD Solid State Drives SSD Tweaker With all the advice online for SSD hard drives (Solid State Drives) it can take hours of research and fiddling to properly setup your SSD drive. SSD Tweaker will do the task for you very quickly. You can select the tweaks to apply or use the auto-tweak button. Works with any SSD drive because it only tweaks your Windows registry. Requires .NET. Size: 243KB. Win 2K/XP/Vista/7/8 32/64bit.
- SSD Benchmark AS SSD Benchmark allows you to run a series of benchmark tests on your SSD drive to measure the read/write performance of your drive. The program uses 4 different test methods that use generic test data to test the read and write speeds. You can also run a Copy Benchmark, which generates several folders with temporary test files on your drive and then performs copy operation while measuring the actual transfer speeds. Furthermore, there is an option to run a Compression Benchmark, which generates random data and measures read/write speeds in relation to the compression level of the test data. You can save your test results as screenshot image or export them to XML file. Portable. Size: 259KB. Win XP/Vista/7/8.
- Virutal Machine Disk2vhd is a utility that creates VHD (Virtual Hard Disk - Microsoft's Virtual Machine disk format) versions of physical disks for use in Microsoft Virtual PC or Microsoft Hyper-V virtual machines (VMs). The difference between Disk2vhd and other physical-to-virtual tools is that you can run Disk2vhd on a system that’s online. Disk2vhd uses Windows' Volume Snapshot capability, introduced in Windows XP, to create consistent point-in-time snapshots of the volumes you want to include in a conversion. You can even have Disk2vhd create the VHDs on local volumes, even ones being converted (though performance is better when the VHD is on a disk different than ones being converted). Size: 822KB. Win XP/Vista/7/8.
- Virtual Machine VirtualBox A family of powerful x86 general-purpose full virtualizer for x86 hardware for enterprise as well as home use. The only professional-quality virtualization solution that is also Open Source Software. Win NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Virtual Machine VmWare Run, share and evaluate pre-built applications and beta software in virtual machines. Win NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Virtual Machine EasyVMX Easy way to create complete virtual machines for VMware Player (use with VMWare.) Win NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
Securely overwrite free space on your computer
To securely overwrite free space on your computer (no external program needed.) simply click on your Start Button / All Programs / Accessories / and right click on Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator.
When the command prompt opens type: cipher /w:C (where C is the letter of the drive you want to securely overwrite the free space on.)
It will overwrite the free space with three passes. First with all zero’s – 0×00. Second with all 255’s, – 0xFF. Finally with random numbers.
It took about 25 minutes to overwrite 50GB of free space on my system.