ARCHIVED CROMEBOOK PAGES.
Traditionally with a Chromebook, you do everything on the web. Times have changed, most productivity Apps have off-line capability and todays web apps and services are so good that they allow you to do virtually everything you could do with your old computer offline or online. Non-traditionally you can do much more.
New Listings (★ items work off-line)
(APP=APP, EXT=Extension, SaaS=Software as a Service)
- CURRENT NEWSMy posts to the G+ Chromebook Community.
- [Office] Task List APP/EXT TickTickTickTick is a simple and effective to-do and task list App and Extension, which helps you to make everything done and witness all important moments in life. TickTick’s cross-platform apps enables you to manage tasks on all your devices such as iOS, Android and Chrome. Besides, it allows you to backup and sync tasks on TickTick.com, where you can elegantly arrange your time and schedule. Life can be so different with TickTick at hand. (Extension)
- [Office] PDF Editor SaaS PDFescapePDFescape is a free, online PDF reader, editor, form filler, and form designer. Add text, shapes, whiteout and more to PDF files. Crop, deskew, move, delete, and insert PDF pages. Create links to other PDF pages or web content. Change PDF information tags. Encrypt PDF contents using a password. Add images to PDF files. Sign PDF documents using your scanned signature.,,and much more.
- [File Management] Zip Extraction APP ZIP ExtractorZIP Extractor allows you to unzip (extract or decompress) files in Google Drive. The ZIP file can come from your computer or from Google Drive. You can choose which files in the ZIP file to extract.
- [Internet] Speed Test APP Internet Connection Speed TestInternet Connection Speed Test will allow you to determine how fast your computers Internet speed is? Test your bandwidth and connection speeds with this speed test app.
- [Utility] Precipitation Alerts EXT Rain Alarm ExtensionRain Alarm Extension will warn you against precipitation (like rain or snow) by a notification. One click and you can watch what is coming by the up-to-date radar animation on top of Google Maps. The data used originates from governmental weather services.
- [Email] Gmail Shortcuts EZT KeyRocket for GmailKeyRocket for Gmail is the fastest way to learn keyboard shortcuts for Gmail™ and Google Apps™ email accounts. It recommends keyboard shortcuts while your work where it matters. KeyRocket informs you, via a subtle notification, when you could have used a keyboard shortcut instead of a series of mouse clicks.
- [Utility] ★ Beautify New Tab EXT FruumoFruumo is a fantabulous extension for Chrome, it replaces the boring default chrome start page / Tab Page with something more beautiful. Weather, Time, Fruumo Voice Assistant, Fruumo-Mini, Apps, Recently Closed Tabs, Most Visited Tabs, Changeable wallpaper, Facebook Notifications, etc.
- [Utility] Extension Manager EXT SimpleExtManagerSimpleExtManager is a simple menu to enable, disable and access options of extensions. Apps and Themes. Includes: basic function to enable/disable, access options and uninstall extensions, Apps and Themes via popup, customize the popup, ability to create extension groups, enable/disable extension groups via popup and right-click menu, event page enabled.
- [Graphics] Editor APP Picasa Picasa Web Albums is a fast and easy way to share your photos and videos online. You can upload photos and videos to Picasa Web Albums right from your web browser, or can use Google's Picasa software to upload entire albums at once. It's easy to share; you can send a link to your uploaded photos, albums, or even your entire online gallery, all right from Picasa Web Albums. You can add name tags to the faces identified in your photos, geotag photos and videos to record where they were taken, or order prints of your favorites from Picasa print partners. Each account gets 1GB of free storage -- enough to post and share around 4,000 standard resolution photos. And you can upload original resolution photos, so you and your friends can download your photos in high quality to print and share.
- [Video] Downloader EXT Video Downloader ProfessionalVideo Downloader Professional download and save videos playing on a website to hard disk - add videos easily to your video list. There you have quick access to the videos and you can play them at any time, without having to return to the orignial web page. You also have the option to play the videos in any size (currently available at selected video providers like Youtube and Vimeo)
- [Graphics] QR Scanner APP ScanQRScanQR allows you to scan QR codes and display their contents on a Chromebook or other computer with a webcam.
- [Utility] Clipboard EXT Clipboard HistoryClipboard History keeps a history of a content, which has been recently copied to the computer clipboard. By selecting any last copied text you automatically copy it into the clipboard again. You can also see the time every text was copied.
- [Utility] Chrome cache EXT Cache KillerCache Killer allows you to easily disable caching in Chrome. When Cache Killer is activated, it will clean your Browser Cache before every page load. With just one click you can disable or enable this feature.
- [Office] Credit Management SaaS Credit KarmaCredit Karma gives you access to all of your financial information, bank accounts, credit cards, bills, mortgages, loans, and, of course, your credit scores, all in one location, all under one account. Your Credit Score Should Be Free–and Now It Is. Get Your Absolutely Free Credit Score. Stay on Top of All of Your Accounts in One Place. No Trials. No Credit Cards. Truly Free. This is absolutely a must tool for everyone. You can not only view your credit score, you can learn to manage it.
- [Security] Extension Scanner EXT Extension DefenderExtension Defender allows you to scan your extensions for known malware, adware, and spyware.
- [Graphics] Image Search EXT Search by ImageSearch by Image (by Google) - right click on an image on the web and select “Search Google with this image.” You can also add a clickable Search by Image icon that appears when you point to an image. When you search by image, you’ll see results that show you where that image, and similar images, appear on the web. You can see webpages that contain that image, or find the same image in different sizes or resolutions.
- [Internet] Proxy Management EXT FoxyProxyFoxyProxy Standard - This cool extension allows you to manage and keep track of all your proxy networks. Sometimes your away from your home network and want to send secure data through an unsecure means like a coffee shop wifi connection.
- [Email] Encryption EXT MailvelopeMailvelope is a neat implementation of OpenPGP that works right in your browser. It works with all your webmail providers Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, so you can start send encrypted email messages. One unique feature is token authentication that displays a unique character code and color so that the person your emailing knows it's really you not someone else.
- [Graphics] URL to PDF EXT iWeb2xConvert a web page to a printer friendly PDF, image snapshot, or high resolution wallpaper.
- [Office] Calendar Publisher SaaS PubMyCal instantly connects to Google Calendar and allows you to: Choose a date range, Pick any of your calendars, Email a reader-friendly synopsis of your events, and Automatically creates beautifully formatted emails. Therefore, with the help of this free online calendar you can choose to send all your planned and upcoming events with your friends easily. Invite guests online easily by sending invitations through their email addresses, If you are planning for any upcoming birthdays, anniversaries or any other events then you can share events online with your friends.
- [Graphics] Business Card Maker SaaS MakeBadge allows you to create Instant Business Cards, name tags, name badges, ID badges, or buttons with custom templates and your design. It is a full-featured badge maker application. Diversity of in-built design templates such as classical square or nontrivial round ones. It has no time limited sessions, functionality restrictions or badge quantity quotas so users can create as many cards as desired. Create a custom template by means of drag-and-drop or select a ready-made card style. Add text and images, apply optional decorative elements. You can add your email, your phone number, your Skype ID, the URL of your company's Facebook page, logo or anything that would let clients get in touch with you more quickly.
- [Office] Budget Tool APP FlowZR FlowZR is a secure, complete budget and reporting solution, both for personal and small business. Easy CSV Import. Easy to use checkbook register. Multiple accounts, multiple currencies. Home currency and exchange rates. Transfers, scheduled and recurring transactions. Split transactions. Hierarchical categories with attributes. Budgets, project, payees and locations.
- [Office] Budget Tool SaaS Spending Profile is a website where you can track your spending and watch your budget. Easily spot trends in your spending. Plan and budget with confidence. Know exactly what you can and can`t afford. Identify areas where you need to cut back. Take control of your debt. Create your own categories that reflect your lifestyle, and assign your purchases to them. The graphs then show the overall breakdown and represent your personal spending profile.
- [Office] Book Authoring SaaS Yarny is an easy-to-use, online writing environment for the high-production writer. Write the way you want to write, using any approach you like, in a simple, distraction-free environment—keep your writing private, or share it with others. It's creative writing in the cloud. Write your story in snippets and organize snippets into groups. Tag your snippets for easy reference and organization. Stay organized with separate sections for people, places and things. Write character descriptions, capture research about a location, track to-dos, or use them any way you want to. With automatic saving, versioning and simple ways to track the people, places and things in your novel, it's easy to get organized and stay on track. (Video)
- [Graphics] Word Cloud SaaS WordCloud is a text analyzer that will create a word cloud representation as an image of RSS Feeds, Webpages, Local files, Wikipedia, Blogger, Twitter, Facebook, and Google+ as well as just copy paste. It automatically uploads to Imgur and provides you with a link and after that you have other choices to send the file to or just download it.
- [Graphics] Graphic Effects APP FabCam FabCam is an application that allows to apply a lot of fun effects, frames, objects and textures to your photos. After your edit, you can save it to your PC or share with your friends on Facebook or FabCam's gallery. FabCam allows you to combine multiple effects. It's possible to take pictures from a webcam, upload one from your computer or from Facebook! FabCam doesn't need a webcam anymore to work, if you don't have one you can just upload a pic from your PC or Facebook Albums!
- [Video] Video Live Streaming SaaS Bambuser is A Simple Live Streaming Interface, but No Frills. It's strengths include overall ease of use, support for over 300 mobile devices for broadcasting and playback, the ability to deliver multiple video streams, and a compact embedded player. Whatever video you are making is streamed and saved live in your Bambuser account. You can make it private or public or download it.
- [Video] Video to MP3 SaaS YouTube-mp3.org is the easiest online service for converting videos to mp3. You do not need an account, the only thing you need is a YouTube URL. We will start to convert the audiotrack of your videofile to mp3 as soon as you have submitted it and you will be able to download it. Different from other services the whole conversion process will be performed by our infrastructure and you only have to download the audio file from our servers. Because of this our software is platform-independent: You can use it with your Chromebook, Mac, a Linux PC, iPhone, Android etc. All our conversions will be perfomed in high quality mode with a bitrate of at least 128 kBit/s. Do not worry, our service is completely free. Sometimes we need approximately 3 to 4 minutes per video though many times it is instant if we've done it before.
- [Video] Video Editor SaaS YouTube Video Editortheir premier on-line editor.
- [Graphics] Captions to Images SaaS ROFLBOTROFLBOT will allow you to upload images or use an image on the web and easily annotate it with those impactive fonts. You can then save it to your computer or Flickr, host it on Imgur, or Post to Facebook. There are no watermarks.
- [Security] Extension Risk EXT Privacy GuardAn extension to help you make informed decisions about the privacy implications of your installed extensions.
Highly recommended. If you don't use Credit Karma, get it. It is a free web service (Software as a Service or SaaS.)
Credit Karma gives you access to all of your financial information, bank accounts, credit cards, bills, mortgages, loans, and, of course, your credit scores, all in one location, all under one account. Your Credit Score Should Be Free–and Now It Is. Get Your Absolutely Free Credit Score. Stay on Top of All of Your Accounts in One Place. No Trials. No Credit Cards. Truly Free. This is absolutely a must tool for everyone. You can not only view your credit score, you can learn to manage it.
Do not ignore Software as a Service - SaaS
The Chrome Web Store is great and there are many great APPS and Extension therein. However, there are many many more great Web Services (Software as a Service or SaaS) that have yet to have packaged APPS or Extensions made available.
Most APPS or Extensions are simply links to some of these SaaS tools (exceptions being Off-line packaged tools) and that service may even have better services available within their domain other than what the APP or Extension points to.
If you do not find exactly what you want in the Chrome Web Store, search for SaaS tools for that subject...you might be pleasantly surprised.
Setting up your Chromebook
GottaBeMoblile offers a very good walk through including videos on how to set up your Chromebook.
"Setting up a Chromebook couldn’t be much easier. It’s far simpler than a Windows or Mac machine. In just a handful of steps a user goes from boot to fully ready installation with all their apps and settings ready to go. It takes about five to ten minutes at the most, depending on the number of web apps a person uses."
- Start the machine using the power button - top right on the keyboard.
- Choose language, keyboard, and connect to Wi-Fi (have your password ready).
- Accept the terms of service.
- Sign into a Google account.
- Select or make a profile picture.
- Learn to use ChromeOS from the getting started screen.
- Change important settings like Time Zone.
- Connect Bluetooth devices if needed.
That's it! All of your Google account tools will automatically sync.
Being a retired airline pilot...weather tools are a passion. Weather Underground is great, and there is an app for that, but WeatherSpark is awesome even though there isn't an app for it yet - you really don't need an app for a link anyway which is what many apps are.
Once you navigate to WeatherSpark, the settings are saved in the URL itself...so once you set it up, copy the URL again and save that for your bookmark.
Take the time to explore it, I mean really explore it. You can add locations. You can add data (like moon phases, precipitation etc.) to the right pane view by clicking the Graphs dropdown menu (just remember to resave your URL as settings change)
The radar view is the left pane, the details view the right pane and you can expand full screen either one with the left and right carots at the top between the two panes. You can also animate the radar pane. It does more...check it out.
BearWare indirectly began development in 1980 when I purchased my first computer, created from a list of freeware I maintained prior to BearWare. One of my interests has been free applications or services for PC's and I've maintained due vigilance to find, research and document the best for my own personal repository. If I discover better software for a category, I replace the current holder of that category.
Friends, family and coworkers discovered I maintained such a list and requested that I send the file to them every time I updated it. As I frequently updated the list, I created a website for those who wished the data. Bearware's theme is for no ads, no pop-ups or monetization of any kind. It's primarily a tool for my use which I share as others may find it useful.
Now I have moved on and away from Windows. I do not believe the Windows Operating Systems are the near future for general home use. I love the freedom of my Chromebook, free from the tedious maintenance required for Windows...and the malware. I now dedicate my efforts and support for the Chrome Browser and Chromebooks (ChromeOS.)