- Archive Viewer LoadScout is a smart program designed to help you browse the web and FTP sites. It allows you to get information from any remote media or archive file without downloading it. The basic idea is to download only a small part of the file and extract the required data. Win 95/98/ME/NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- ★Bookmarks Deadlinks AMDeadlink Detects dead links and duplicates in browser bookmarks and text files. Win 95/98/ME/NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Bookmarks Exporter Transmute is the first and only bookmark converter to export bookmarks between all of the major web browser formats. Win 95/98/ME/NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Bookmarks Extractor URLExtractor Extract URL links from web pages or files. Win 95/98/ME/NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Bookmarks to Text Dir2URL Make a text file of your favorites URL directory. Win 95/98/ME/NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Browser History BrowsingHistoryView is a new utility from NirSoft that reads the history data of 4 different Web browsers (Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, and Safari) and displays the browsing history of all these Web browsers in one table. The browsing history table includes the following information: Visited URL, Title, Visit Time, Visit Count, Web browser and User Profile. BrowsingHistoryView allows you to watch the browsing history of all user profiles in a running system, as well as to get the browsing history from external hard drive. You can also export the browsing history into csv/tab-delimited/html/xml file from the user interface, or from command-line, without displaying any user interface. Portable. Size: 348KB. Win All.
- Chat Video SightSpeed Unlimited voice and video chat, Video and Voice Calling, Video Mail and Blog Recording. Win 98/ME/NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Chat Voice LoudTalks Push to talk on a PC using F7 button, Group or private communication, Real-time, and Voice history to re-play later. Peer 2 Peer VOIP. Win 2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Chat Voice TeamSpeak is a quality, scalable application which enables people to speak with one another over the Internet. Number 1 popular chat among gamers. Win 98/ME/NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Chat Voice Ventrilo Superior sound quality and minimal use of CPU resources so as not to interfere with day to day operations of the computer or during online game competitions. It is also preferred for the simple user interface that any first time computer user can very quickly learn because the most commonly used features are immediately visible and can be activated with a single click of the mouse. Win 2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Cloud Operating System Joli OS to turn any low cost computer into a beautiful and modern cloud-computing device. Designed around the beautiful Jolicloud user interface. The only Linux-based OS that doesn’t need a tutorial. The simplest OS install ever, works on 95% of the computers out of the box. Makes viruses, malware and spyware a thing of the past. Synchronized to the Jolicloud platform. Comes with a curated list of 1,500 free apps. One-click Dropbox integration. Automatically updates your software, so you never have to worry about it. Designed for the cloud but works great offline too. A vibrant community of users supporting each other. Two install choices are available. You can install Joli OS as a dual-boot with your existing Windows installation where you can choose to boot to Windows or Joli OS at startup and you can remove Joli OS at any time, or replace the existing operating system. Bring your old computers back to life. Create the perfect Internet computer.
- Cloud Storage Manager CarotDAV is a simple WebDAV, FTP, SkyDrive, DropBox, GoogleDrive, Box, and SugarSync client that enables one to upload and download files easily to these services in a file manager interface. It is also able to read GoogleDocs or IMAP. Once your accounts are set up, you can easily log into each one separably to view the list of files, upload or download files in a file manager single pane interface that includes URL. You can also set a Master Password. Very simple to set up, from the file menu select new connection, choose the service, type a custom name, click authorize, and follow the instructions. (You may need to log into the service after clicking the link that takes you to your browser and loads the service). You may also need to copy the authorization code and past it in the appropriate spot in CarotDAV. No path changes are necessary. Size: 3MB. Portable version. Net Framework 2.0. Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008/7/8. (Video)
- ★DNS Benchmarking DNS Benchmark measures the performance of a wide variety of possible alternative DNS nameservers so that you can develop a good sense for the performance of your system's current nameservers in comparison to what's available from alternative providers. Some of the resolvers the Benchmark tests are obscure and might not be available to everyone. They were included on the off chance that one or two of them might be faster than other commercial or well-known public alternatives. And, of course, the use of the DNS Benchmark's Custom List building facility will uncover DNS resolvers run by respectable organizations as well as some living under nearby rocks. Use your best judgement based upon their names and apparent ownership. Portable Stealth. Size: 166KB. Win 95/98/ME/NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8. 32/64bit.
- Domain Tracing eToolz Ping, Whois, Traceroute, DNS, Page Rank, Mail check, HTTP Header. Portable. Win 95/98/ME/NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Downloader JDownloader is designed to automatically download files from popular exchangers as RapidShare.com, RapidShare.de, Depositfiles.com, Filefactory.com, Uploaded.to, Megaupload.com, Megashares.com, Vip-file.com, upshare.net, letitbit . net, Youtube.com, Myvideo.de, Imagefap.com, files.to etc. It's almost perfect automation and it can read many captcha's but allows you to fill in the ones it can't. It will unpack rar files and avoid third party installs. Size: 26.5MB. Win XP/Vista/7/8/8. 32/64bit.
- Downloader OrbitDownloader is devoted to new generation web (web2.0) downloading, such as video/music/streaming media from Myspace, YouTube, Imeem, Pandora, Rapidshare, support RTMP. And to make general downloading easier and faster. Supports all streaming media protocol including RTMP, MMS, and RTSP. Grab Pro will download RTMP protocol video. Win NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Downloader Free Download Manager is a powerful, easy-to-use Open Source free download accelerator and manager. Increase your download speed and resume broken downloads. Flash video download. Easy file sharing. HTTP/FTP/BitTorrent support. In addition, Free Download Manager allows you to: adjust traffic usage; to organize and schedule downloads; download video from video sites; download whole web sites with HTML Spider; operate the program remotely, via the internet, and more! Size: 6.4 MB (lite version 2.1 MB) Win 95/98/ME/NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- File Sharing SoShare by bitTorrent is an experimental file sharing utility that allows you to send unlimited videos, photos and files to your friends with no file size limits. Create groups and decide what to share in them, or just send a file to one person. All parties need SoShare installed. The program is currently in alpha. A free account is required. Size: 565KB. Win XP/Vista/7/8. 32/64bit. (not currently taking new members - I'll update when they do.)
- File Sharing Minus is a very easy to use file sharing tool. It makes sharing pictures, documents, music, videos and files simple, instant, and free. To upload, drag files from your desktop and folders to the Minus tray icon. Share files up to 200 MB in size. Unlimited storage and file downloads. No registration or configuration. It also has a screen capture tool. Your uploads are private by default. You can make them public by posting them to your Minus user page. The main interface shows all your uploads with options to copy a link for direct download and to delete files you no longer want to share. Size: 4.5MB. Win XP/Vista/7/8.
- File Transfer HFS~HttpFileServer Use HFS to send and receive files. Win 98/ME/NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- ★FTP FileZilla Highly recommended powerful Open Source FTP SFTP client. Win NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- FTP FTP Rush is the most powerful and free FTP/FXP/SFTP/TFTP client software for Windows. It is designed to fit any transfer need, it allows you to quickly upload or download files in all directions: from FTP Server to local, local to FTP Server or FTP Server to FTP Server. The client supports secure transfer including SSH and TFTP and it is really easy-to-use, Also FTP Rush takes into account all peculiarities of internet file transfer and management by presenting a great choice of features, creating comfortable working experience. Portable version. Size: 3.81MB. Win 2000/XP/2003/Vista/Win7.
- FTP/WebDAV Manager NetDrive allows managing your remote FTP and WebDAV servers will be as easy as any old file folders on your PC. Once you mount the local drive, you don't need to run an application or an FTP client interface but a simple drag-and-drop in your Windows Explorer will be sufficient to transfer and manage files. Mounts remote storage as a local hard disk on your PC, Data transfer by drag and drop files in windows explorer, Able to run files(video, audio and any other .exe files), Mounts drive automatically when Windows starts. Size: 7.7MB. Win 2000/XP/2003/2008/Vista/7/8. 32/64bit.
- Media Hack MediaHint is a Chrome or Firefox extension that allows you to access internet media streaming services available only in the USA or such like Hulu, Netflix and Pandora from anywhere in the world. No additional set-up required. Install extension and you are ready to go.
- Netbook Jolicloud If you've got a netbook switch to Jolicloud and you'll have a functional netbook operating system immune to practically every virus. Jolicloud brings all the benefits of cloud computing today, making your netbook the natural extension of all your other computers and mobile devices. We have mixed a super-optimized Linux that makes the most of your netbook hardware, battery, graphics and connectivity with a cool interface that will make your life easier. Switching OS has never been so easy. In less than 15 minutes you will enjoy Jolicloud alongside your old Windows and all your data will be perfectly safe.
- Network NetWorx Evaluate your bandwidth data and measure the speed of your Internet or any other network connection, or track down suspicious network activity characteristic of Trojan horses and hacker attacks. Win 2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- OffLine Viewing WebReaper Crawler that downloads websites for offline viewing. Win 95/98/ME/NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- OffLine Viewing HTTrack Crawler that downloads websites for offline viewing. Win 95/98/ME/NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Optimizer TCPOptimizer Tune and optimize your Internet connection. Win 95/98/ME/NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Peer2Peer FrostWire The best conventional P2P file sharing program. Win NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Peer2PeerTorrent uTorrent Peer to peer file-sharing client based on the Bittorrent protocol that is ideal for high-speed distribution of large files. Win 95/98/ME/NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Peer2PeerTorrent Deluge is a lightweight cross-platform BitTorrent client and features a rich plugin collection. Win 95/98/ME/NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- ★Radio RarmaRadio is an excellent Internet radio player and recorder that lists thousands of stations from around the world in a tree-like structure (includes TV channels though they can't be recorded), automatically keeps track of you history and frequently played stations, records one or more stations simultaneously and save the recording as individual MP3 files (Recording is available in many formats - including mp3, wma, aac and ogg), has all the basic features, including Play, Record, and Stop buttons, a volume slider, spectral display, station graphics, and counters, search for stations based on name or genre, schedule radio stations to automatically be played or recorded during certain times, contains a graphic equalizer so you can tweak the sound to your liking, includes album cover and lyrics display, support for WinAmp plug-ins, station search, favorite station list, random play, offers a song/artist watch list that can automatically record specific titles when they are played, add your own stations (which can be uploaded for others to use) or type the URL of any of them right into RarmaRadio. Size: 11.2MB. Win 2000/XP/Vista/7/8. 32/64bit.
- ★Radio Tapin-radio is the new Screamer Radio with the main goal of keeping preset station updated. TapinRadio is simple, reliable and just works. Main features are: Plenty of stations to choose from, Supports most of the internet radio formats mp3, wma, ogg vorbis, aac+ and so on, Quick and reliable search, Smooth switching between stations, Record what you are listening to including separate song files, Automatic checking for software and radio stations updates. Portable Option on installation. Win XP/Vista/7/8 32/64bit.
- Radio RadioSure is an elegantly simple Internet radio program. More than 12000 of stations in the package, Supports most of the internet radio formats. Quick and reliable search for your favorite radio stations, Smooth switching between stations including crossfade effect, Recording what you are listening to and packaging it into separate song files, Simultaneous recording of multiple stations, Automatic checking for software and radio stations updates, Command line parameters for automatization, with UNICODE support...all domestic stations are perfectly visible and searchable. Also Portable. Size: 2.08MB. Windows XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Radio NexusRadio Full featured Internet Radio Player/recorder with 6000+ stations, and audio editor. Win 2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Radio Recorder streamWriter is a free application for windows that records music broadcasted by internet-radiostations. Record as many streams as you want at the same time (MP3/AAC). Automatically record a wishlist's song when it's playing on a stream. Listen to streams. Track splitting with silence detection. Function for manual cutting of saved titles. Tracks are named by a given pattern. Short songs (ads) can be skipped. ID3 tagging and script-based postprocessing option. Scheduled recordings. Stream browser. Portable Version. Size: 1.9 MB. Win XP/Vista/7/8. 32/64bit.
- Remote Computing TeamViewer establishes connections to any PC or server all around the world within just a few seconds. You can remote control your partner's PC as if you were sitting right in front of it. Remote access to PCs and servers via Internet. Instantly take control over a computer or give control anywhere on the Internet, even through firewalls. No installation required, just use it fast and secure. Remote administration of unattended servers. File transfer. Chat. Completely secure data channels with key exchange and AES (256 Bit) session encoding. Portable version. Win 2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Remote Computing Chrome Remote Desktop is the first installment on a capability allowing users to remotely access another computer through the Chrome browser or a Chromebook. This version enables users to share with or get access to another computer by providing a one-time authentication code. Access is given only to the specific person the user identifies for one time only, and the sharing session is fully secured. Additional use cases such as being able to access your own computer remotely are coming soon. It is fully cross-platform, so you can connect any two computers that have a Chrome browser, including Windows, Linux, Mac and Chromebooks.
- Remote Computing Comodo Unite allows users to easily create a secure and encrypted virtual private network (VPNs) between groups of computers. Setting up a Unite network is as easy as clicking a button. Once connected, all computers can securely share any files they choose. Share music and photos with pals, set up a multi-player gaming session, or simply chat with friends using the included messaging service. You can download files directly from another PC, or edit them without downloading them at all. Users are even able to access their work computer from their home machine (& vice versa) or send documents to their local printer from any remote location. All communications over a Unite network use 128-bit SSL encryption for protection from hackers. This includes the chat service, a rarity among instant messengers. Plus, creating and building a network is amazingly simple. Just choose a user name and type in a friend or co-worker's user name to invite them to join your network. A few button clicks later, PCs are connected! Win XP/Vista/7/8. 32/64bit.
- Remote Computing Supremo is a free remote desktop software for Windows. It is a complete and powerful utility for remote access and support over the internet. With Supremo you can remotely control any computer, without the need to change any firewall/router settings, combining an extremely easy setup with one of the highest security level available. Applies a static IP address for every computer though the password changes each session. Allows multiple users with chat. Explore the disks of the remote computer and transfer files and folders in both directions. You can install Supremo as a Windows service, to make the connection always available in background. There is an address book to keep your connections in. Portable. Size: 1.87MB. Win XP/Vista/2008/7/8. 32/64bit.
- Remote Computing GBridge is a free software that lets you sync folders, share files, chat and VNC securely and easily. It extends Google´s gtalk service to a VPN (Virtual Private Network) that connects your computers and your close friends´ computers directly and securely. GBridge has many unique features. Win 95/98/ME/NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Remote Connections Manager mRemoteNG is a fork of mRemote, an open source, tabbed, multi-protocol, remote connections manager. mRemoteNG adds bug fixes and new features to mRemote. It allows you to view all of your remote connections in a simple yet powerful tabbed interface. mRemoteNG supports the following protocols: RDP (Remote Desktop/Terminal Server) VNC (Virtual Network Computing) ICA (Citrix Independent Computing Architecture) SSH (Secure Shell) Telnet (TELecommunication NETwork) HTTP/HTTPS (Hypertext Transfer Protocol) rlogin and Raw Socket Connections. Portable Edition. Size: 2.63MB. Win XP/Vista/7/8. 32/64bit.
- RSS Reader QuiteRSS is an RSS/Atom feed reader written on Qt/С++. Feed and news filters: new, unread, starred, deleted (for news until restart application), User filters, Proxy configuration: automatic or manual, Feed import wizard: Search feed URL if site URL was entered, Embedded browser (Webkit core), Mark news starred, Automatic update feeds: on startup, by timer, Automatic cleanup on close using criterias, Enable/Disable images in news preview, Ability to quickly hide feed tree (for comfortable viewing), Open feed or news in own tab, Quick news filter and quick search in browser, Sound notification on new news, Popup notification on new news, Show new or unread news counter on tray icon, Minimize on system tray: on start, on close, on minimize, Import/Export feeds (OPML-files), Portable (Windows), Free working set (Windows), Shortcuts, Check for updates, Cross-platform, Multilingual, and Open-source. Portable Stealth version. Size: 17.7MB. Win XP/Vista/7/8.
- Search Cleeki redefines the way you search. It captures keyword(s) anywhere on a screen and searches the Internet, Wikipedia, dictionaries etc. with wordweb functionality. Portable. Win 95/98/ME/NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Translator Client for Google Translate is a free translator which translates text in every Windows application such as Outlook, MS Word, Internet Explorer, Firefox and so on. After installing you will see Client for Google Translate in the system tray and every time you want to translate some text, all you have to do is click the tray icon to activate it (turns from blue to orange) and select the text you wish to translate (auto language detection) and a little G icon will appear by the selected text, click that and the selection will be translated instantly! With this tool, you can easily carry on a conversation with someone in a different language. Size: 2MB. Win 98/ME/NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8. (Demo)A short demonstration.
- ★TV Hulu Desktop is a media center type of application, like Front Row or Boxee or Netflix or Windows Media Center, that gives you full access to Hulu.com with an Apple Remote or Windows Media remote or just your keyboard and mouse. In other words, freed from the constraints of the browser, it is like real TV. The app is beautiful, fast, easy to navigate and simply amazing. It is everything you would expect from Hulu. Win XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- TV Online TV Access to the TV show streams is only granted for users connecting from specific regions of countries. If you live abroad, or are on holiday, you may not be able to access the TV streams. There are options available to bypass streaming TV site restrictions abd some are listed in the link.
- Tweets TweetDeck is your personal browser for staying in touch with what's happening now, connecting you with your contacts across Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, Linkedin and more. TweetDeck shows you everything you want to see at once, so you can stay organized and up to date. Will install Adobe Air. Beta Software. Win All.
- Usenet Reader MesNews Full featured Usenet Newsgroup Client. Portable by installing the program and directing the .ini file to a portable folder, Copy the installed folders and files to that portable folder, and remove the two uninstall files, then uninstall the program. Size: 7MB. Win 95/98/ME/NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- ★Usenet Server Dotsrc.org (formerly SunSITE.dk) is an international, noncommercial organization providing a variety of services to the open source community. The primary services offered by us is the mirroring of popular open source software, irc and usenet access. dotsrc.org runs a Usenet newsserver with public access to local, danish, and some international newsgroups. To be able to use the new usenet server (read and post articles) you must register.
- Usenet Content Search GrabIt Search and download any content on USENET news servers, without downloading gigabytes of headers. Win 95/98/ME/NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- ★Web Browser Google Chrome is a browser based on Open Source programming that combines a minimal design with sophisticated technology to make the web faster, safer, and easier. This is my browser of choice. You can opt out of sending usage statistics and use unchrome if you wish to anonymize the browser. Win XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Chrome Extension Do Not Track Plus is a free online tracking protection that blocks trackers before they get your information. Protects you from over 125 tracking technologies and updates itself automatically to catch new trackers. PC and Mac, Firefox, Safari, and Chrome! You won't find this extension in the FireFox Add-ons or Chrome Web Stores. After installing, when you visit a website tracking attempts are registered in the extension and blocked. It keeps track of total number of blocked tracking attempts. It allows one to allow tracking at any particular site by clicking the On/Off button on the upper right side of the DNTP screen when you click the extension icon. An interesting behavior about this extension is after you download the extension - say to your desktop, it automatically runs and asks for you to install or cancel. If you do nothing, it removes itself from the desktop. If you click install, it installs in your default browser and removes itself from the desktop. If you click cancel, it removes itself from the desktop.
- Web Browser Opera May be the best most feature rich web browser, email client, newsreader, bittorent, RSS reader, and much more. However they do not allow third party extensions. Win 95/98/ME/NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Web Browser FireFox To make FireFox as feature rich as Opera, one must use third party extensions which introduce unmonitored risk to your system. I have had adware, unwanted system changes, and malware introduced by third party add-ons within the browser. Win 2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- FireFox Memory Leaks Firemin is a small app that eliminates all memory leaks in Firefox and keeps memory consumption at bay. The program runs in the system tray and constantly optimizes Firefox's memory by forcing it to release some of the memory it so greedily hangs on to. During our review, we ran Firefox with 8 opened tabs and just let it sit there for 30 minutes. During that time, memory consumption steadily increased to nearly 100 mb. We then activated Firemin and memory consumption decreased to 1-5 mb and remained within that range for the duration of the test. Firemin uses a save Microsoft API (EmptyWorkingSet) to force Firefox to release some of the reserved memory without causing stability problems. Runs in the system tray and does not require installation. Portable. Size 888KB. Win XP/Vista/7/8.
- Web Browser QtWeb lightweight, secure and portable browser having unique user interface and privacy features. No traces are left on the host machine while browsing or after the browser has been reset. All toolbars, including navigation bar, can be turned off or docked anywhere, and even moved outside the main browsing window. Includes built-in support for Torrent downloads. Based on Nokia's Qt framework (former Trolltech) and Apple's WebKit rendering engine (also used by Apple Safari and Google Chrome). Portable. Size 6.9MB. Win XP/Vista/7/8.
- Web Site File Capture WebSiteSniffer is a packet sniffer tool that captures all Web site files downloaded by your Web browser while browsing the Internet, and stores them on your hard drive under the base folder that you choose. WebSiteSniffer allows you to choose which type of Web site files will be captured: HTML Files, Text Files, XML Files, CSS Files, Video/Audio Files, Images, Scripts, and Flash (.swf) files. WebSiteSniffer cannot capture files of a secured Web site (HTTPS). Winpcap is required to use WebSiteSniffer. Portable. Size: 276KB. Win 2000 thru 7. 32/64bit. (Winpcap required)
- Website Highlighter Marker.to is a simple annotation tool. After you install a browser extension or bookmarklet and run Marker simply by clicking on the icon, you can highlight text on a website with your mouse. Annotating helps to point out important information in long articles. The annotator tool creates a special link for the highlighted version of the page (like http://marker.to/XYZ123). You can share it through Twitter, Facebook, e-mail, IM etc. Or just bookmark it with your favorite bookmarking tool. You can view highlighted page with any browser! No bookmarklet or browser extension is necessary for viewing.
- Wi-Fi InSSIDer is a free Wi-Fi network scanner for Windows Vista and windows XP. Because NetStumbler doesn't work well with Windows Vista and 64-bit Windows XP, we decided to build an open-source Wi-Fi network scanner designed for the current generation of Windows operating systems. Replaces NetStumbler. Win XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Wi-Fi Easy WIFI Radar Connects to open hotspots automatically and represents that activity on a radar screen. Opens your web browser when the connection is made. Win XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- ★Wifi Hotspot Maryfi is a free and easy to use software router for Windows 7 computers. With Maryfi, users can wirelessly share any Internet connection: a cable modem, a cellular card, or even another Wi-Fi network. Other Wi-Fi enabled devices including laptops, smart phones, music players, and gaming systems can see and join your Maryfi hotspot just like any other Wi-Fi access point and are kept safe and secure by password-protected WPA2 Encryption. Maryfi works with new Windows 7 logo-tested Wi-Fi devices, and many older devices that have compatible Windows 7 drivers. Size: 2.07MB. Win 7.
- Wifi Hotspot Virtual Router turns any Windows 7 or Windows 2008 R2 Computer (which must be hard wired to the Internet) into a Wi-Fi Hot Spot using Windows 7's Wireless Hosted Network (Virtual Wi-Fi) technology. The Wireless Network create/shared with Virtual Router uses WPA2 Encryption, and there is no way to turn off that encryption. This is actually a feature of the Wireless Hosted Network API's built into Windows 7 and 2008 R2 to ensure the best security possible. Setup is dead simple, provide a name and password (minimum 8 characters) and you are up and running your hotspot. Turn it on and off at will. Check the compatibility of your Win7 wireless device from the documentation page.
- Wifi Hotspot ZoneRider are specialists in providing secure high speed wireless internet connections worldwide. Download our Free! Hotspot Software and start earning money from your Wi-Fi network. Ideal for community broadband, hotels, conference & exhibition centers, hostels, serviced apartments, health clubs, B & B's, campsites, cafes or in fact any hospitality or public venue.
- YouTube go Videos is a simple YouTube et al video desktop client that points to go000.com. It allows you to select YouTube videos in categories of Most Watched, Car, Travel, Entertainment, Recipe, Fitness, Animals, Funny, Fashion and Dance with a single click. For each common topic there are icons of sub-topics. Search results are listed as small images for easy browsing with a click. Also find anything you like by entering it in the search box. The interface displays thumbnails of videos when clicked opens in a new window to play. Requires Adobe Air. Size: 168KB. Win XP/Vista/7/8.
Web Archive The Wayback Machine Browse through 85 billion web pages archived from 1996 to a few months ago. To start surfing the Wayback, type in the web address of a site or page where you would like to start, and press enter. Then select from the archived dates available. The resulting pages point to other archived pages at as close a date as possible. Keyword searching is not currently supported.
Want better performance out of your home Wi-Fi setup? Most of us are now so dependent on Wi-Fi around the house that we do want that, but not everybody realizes that there are open source tools that can help improve your wireless experience. dd-wrt and Tomato both support more routers and have added functionality. They're open source firmware replacements for the intelligence built into routers, and they can juice your wireless performance and extend your range, in addition to other features.
Tomato is a small, lean and simple replacement firmware for Linksys' WRT54G/GL/GS, Buffalo WHR-G54S/WHR-HP-G54 and other Broadcom-based routers. It features a new easy to use GUI, a new bandwidth usage monitor, more advanced QOS and access restrictions, enables new wireless features such as WDS and wireless client modes, raises the limits on maximum connections for P2P, allows you to run your custom scripts or telnet/ssh in and do all sorts of things like re-program the SES/AOSS button, adds wireless site survey to see your Wi-Fi neighbors, and more.
Indeed, the GUI for Tomato has improved over time, and it can really add much more functionality to your router than you already have. It's Linux-based, and even small things that it's capable of--like giving you automatic reboot options--can provide convenience.
If you haven't looked into dd-wrt, get to know it. It started out as a Linux-based firmware replacement for one Linksys router, intended to add various types of authentication options. Since then, it has ballooned into many downloadable versions for over 200 common Wi-Fi routers. With dd-wrt, you get a whole lot of router options that you wouldn't otherwise have, you can increase your range substantially, and you can get better performance around your home.
If you're unfamiliar with these applications, the dd-wrt wiki tutorial page is a good place to get started. Some of us use multiple routers and have old routers around. If that's you, you may especially appreciate these free tools.
ARTICLE on how to use Tomato.
Google Talk Soft Phone
GoogleTalk has Video and Voice chat which you can easily use through Gmail. Users of Gmail in the USA can now make and receive free telephone calls from their computers, communicating with any other telephone. A VOIP softphone for your computer.
To make telephone calls you should install Voice and Video chat plug-in to Google Chat in Gmail. To receive telephone calls you need a free Google Voice phone number and in Google Voice's voice settings/phone tab, check Google chat. If you have a webcam, you now also have a Video Softphone. Even if your friend doesn't have a video camera, you can still have a voice phone or a 1-way video phone.
If you do not already have a full Google Voice account, you must upgrade your Gmail account before receiving phone calls in Gmail. This process is free and gives you access to additional Google Voice features such as one Google Voice number that rings all your phones and voicemail transcription and more.
Note: upgrading to Google Voice requires a valid US number to get started.
Tip: If you download the GoogleVoice App to your Android phone and in settings select to always call with Google Voice, then (if necessary) add your Google Voice number to your 'friends' list with your Cellular provider prevents call minutes. Your calls will be made via Google Voice through your data plan.
Tip: Inbound calls through your Google Voice number may be recorded simply by pressing 4 on your dialpad. Recording outbound calls is not directly supported but can be done using a Call Widget created in your Google Voice Settings. Create a Call Widget, save the code in a text file with the html extension and when you wish to record an outbound call, open the file, click the call me button and insert the number you wish to call. Google voice will connect with the person you called, then connect to you. You can then press 4 on your dial pad and the call will be recorded and placed in your Google Voice mail. In both cases, an announcement "this call is being recorded" will be made which cannot be prevented.