Comprehensive Security Plan
A good security plan addresses prevention, data protection, and recovery.
Prevention: do the best your skills allow, at the least a decent anti-virus, Windows firewall, and learn some safe hex rules. There is no silver bullet.
Data protection: Don't keep/store dangerous data on your system (that which can harm you). Encrypt sensitive data. Backup all data off-computer either real-time or at least daily.
Recovery: Imaging provides the best tool. Learn how to maintain a pristine image as I have described.
Always have removable restoration media for your system as a fail safe.
Have a current image of your operating system and files stored on an external hard drive or at the least, off-computer.
Backup your data on an external hard drive or off-site regularly preferably in real-time or at least daily.
Use a Anti-Keylogger.
Have a Identity Theft Plan.
Have a financial transaction plan such as PayPal or MyProtect (especially with Credit/Debit cards.) Anything truly sensitive, keep it encrypted and off of any computer that is connected to the net.
Use anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewall tools to help reduce events requiring recovery from malware. Just about any of the top free tools are good enough. Just remember, the bad guys are always one step ahead and there are no silver bullets for 100% protection.
Your computer being hosed beyond use or a critical hardware failure is not the most important issue. An image of your system or a hardware component replacement easily remedies that. The issue is protecting yourself from financial harm, sensitive data being compromised, or data loss.
A complete detailed presentation with additional information is contained in:
- ★AdWare Cleaner AdwCleaner searches for and deletes Adware, Toolbars, Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUP), and browser Hijackers from your computer. The types of programs that AdwCleaner targets are typically bundled with free programs that you download from the web. In many cases when you download and install a program, the install will state that these programs will be installed along with the program you downloaded. Unless you perform a Custom install, these unwanted programs will automatically be installed on your computer leaving you with extra browser toolbars, adware, and other unwanted programs. Excellent program that gets what other tools miss. Size: 617KB portable. Windows XP/Vista/7/8 32/64bit.
- ★AntiKeylogger SpyShelter is an anti-keylogger that will proactively scan when any virus, spy program, keylogger or trojan attempts to store your private information. Protect your passwords, chat, credit card numbers. Fast algorithm process does not slow down your computer when scanning for dangerous items. Doesn't need to check a signature database. System protection (HIPS), Anti keylogger, AntiScreenCapture, and AntiClipboardCapture. Size: 5.5MB. Win XP/Vista/7/8/8. 32/64bit.
- AntiSpyware WinPatrol takes snapshot of your critical system resources and alerts you to any changes that may occur without your knowledge. WinPatrol was the pioneer in using a heuristic behavioral approach to detecting Zero-Day attacks and violations of your computing environment. Size: 834KB. Win XP/Vista/7/8/8. 32/64bit.
- ★AntiVirus Comodo Internet Security is a multi-layered security application that keeps hackers out with powerful Antivirus protection, an enterprise class packet filtering firewall, advanced host intrusion prevention and automatic sandboxing of unknown files. Prevents malware from being installed, Free to both business and home users, Detects and eliminates viruses and Auto Sandbox Technology. Size: 88MB. Win XP/Vista/7/8/8. 32/64bit.
- AntiVirus avast! contains an on-demand scanner with two interfaces (simple for novices and advanced for experienced users), an on-access scanner with Standard Shield (which protects against execution and opening malware programs) and an embedded e-mail scanner which scans incoming and outgoing email messages. It integrates with the Windows Explorer right click menu and also includes a special screen saver which is able to scan your system while your computer is not in use. Updates are incremental and frequently made available for manual or scheduled download. Size: 73MB. Win XP/Vista/7/8/8. 32/64bit.
- Application Monitor Kiwi application monitor is a small program which lets you monitor your applications/processes, Windows and User activity. All you need to do is select an application or processes from the build-in process viewer or enter an application's exe name. The program can be set to start with Windows and run in background with small system resources usage. Kiwi can inform you of certain events and take defined steps so you can automate almost everything imaginable on your computer! Size: 3.4 MB. Win XP/Vista/7/8.
- ★Backup Image/Cloning AOMEI Backupper is a free for personal and commercial use full system backup utility. Backup locked and open files. Scheduling. Disk cloning tools. (No individual file/folder backup.) It works by making an image file of your hard drive, which can then be restored to the exact state the drive was in when the backup was made. Choosing Disk Backup guides you through the process of selecting which drive to backup, where to store the backup, full, incremental, or differential backups and finally creating it. Advanced settings are available, such as compression, splitting the backup, and password protected AES encryption. You can restore an image within Windows, however, recovery media is provided to boot from CD/DVD or USB disks. For those who purchase a new hard drive and don’t want to lose the data present in old one, It also has a clone option. A partition or a whole disk can be cloned to another partition or disk and allows users to resize partitions during cloning. The Image File Checker and Explorer allows mounting the
- Backup Image Macrium Reflect is my recommended imaging tool due to its reliability, speed and default compression depth. Clone your hard dlsk and create disk Images in the safe knowledge that everything is securely saved in an easlly recovered backup file. Access images in Windows Explorer. Schedule backups. Linux Rescue CD. Windows PE 3 Rescue Media (RAID support).
- Backup Sharing Buddy Backup Unlimited free online backup to your buddies computers (Easily make secure, off-site backups so you're safe in the event of fire, flood or theft.) Don't pay a penny for data backup! The new version now also backs up to external devices such as a hard drive, for when your buddies aren't online. Completely free backup software. Simple, easy to use interface. Backup to USB drive. Encrypted backup means no one can read your files - not even your buddies. Your files are efficiently backed up the moment they are saved. Never lose a moment's work. Win XP/Vista/7/8.
- Boot UltimateBootCD Create a boot CD with recovery tools. Win NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Boot WinToFlash Making a bootable USB flash drive for Windows Vista and Windows 7 isn't all that tricky, but it's always nice to find an app that simplifies things. Not only does WinToFlash make the process about as easy as it can get, but it can also create Windows XP, Server 2003, and Server 2008 installers. The default options make it easy to roll a silent Windows install, or you can flip the custom switch and specify the exact setup parameters you want to use. The handy app also has one more trick up its sleeve: moving Windows Preinstall environments. PE discs can be extremely handy for troubleshooting and repairs, and being able to painlessly zap them over to a USB flash drive means not having to burn a new copy every time someone's haggard old optical drive decides to chew up your CD. Portable. Win 2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Directory Monitor Directory Monitor surveils selected directories and notifies of any file changes, deletions, modifications, and new files in real-time. You can choose as many directories to monitor as you like. You can optionally execute an application when a change occurs. This program helps on understand what is happening to these folders when in use or not. Portable version which downloads as a single executable. Runs in the system tray. One quirk of the program is when you minimize it, it goes to the taskbar, "X" it and it goes to the tray. To exit the program you must right click > exit the tray icon. Size: 924KB. Requires .NET 3.5. Win XP/Vista/7/8. 32/64bit.
- DNS Encryption DNSCrypt is a piece of lightweight software to boost online privacy and security. It works by encrypting all DNS traffic between the user and OpenDNS, preventing any spying, spoofing or man-in-the-middle attacks. You must be using OpenDNS servers to utilize this software. DNScrypt uses Curve25519 eliptical curve cryptography. DNSCrypt is like SSL in that it wraps all DNS traffic with encryption the same way SSL wraps all HTTP traffic. Size: 1MB. Win XP/Vista/7/8.
- ★DNS Server Norton ConnectSafe is a free DNS service that provides a first layer of defense by blocking unsafe sites automatically. It automatically blocks known unsafe, fraudulent, phishing and infected Web sites from entering your home network and causing harm to your devices. Choose from three levels of protection. No complicated rules or settings. It does not take up disk space or memory. It is a cloud-based service and does not require any software or hardware installation.
- ★Encryption Cloud/file/folder Cloudfogger encrypts all your files easily, quick and secure using AES (Advanced Encryption Standard), which has even been approved by the NSA for top secret information. This client-side encryption and decryption on your local computer or mobile devices ensures that nobody will be able to access your protected documents and files without your password. Cloudfogger uses transparent encryption, which makes daily use fast and simple: After you activate encryption for a folder on your system via Explorer context menu (e.g. Dropbox, SkyDrive, Google Drive, Email et al), all files are written to your hard drive securely encrypted - and are also securely uploaded to the cloud. Win XP/Vista/7/8 and Android.
- ★Encryption TrueCrypt can create an encrypted container in a file or encrypt an entire hard disk partition or storage device such as USB flash drive. Win XP/Vista/2008/7/8. (Demo)A short demonstration of the program.
- ★Encryption File AxCrypt is an open source file encryption software. It integrates seamlessly with Windows to compress, encrypt, decrypt, store, send and work with individual files. AxCrypt is a great complement to services such as Dropbox, Live Mesh, SkyDrive and Box.net . Password Protect any number of files using strong encryption. Right-click integration with Windows Explorer makes AxCrypt the easiest way to encrypt individual files in Windows. Double-click integration makes it as easy to open, edit and save protected files as it is to work with unprotected files. AES encryption with 128-bit keys. Send the files to friends, who won't need AxCrypt as long as you give them the password for access. Portable version. Size: 3.21MB. Win 2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8. 32/64bit.
- Encryption Cloudfogger encrypts all your files easily, quick and secure using AES (Advanced Encryption Standard), which has even been approved by the NSA for top secret information. Without your password and key nobody will be able to access your protected documents. Cloudfogger uses transparent encryption, which makes daily use quick and simple. You save your files to the new Cloudfogger drive X: that is created when you install Cloudfogger. In the background, all files stored on X will be written fully encrypted to a selectable directory on your system - for example your Dropbox. All the same this works with any other cloud storage provider or even your local network/disk storage.Cloudfogger-protected files can also be shared with others. You just need the automatically created Cloudfogger ID your partner uses and you are on your way to use your files together. Also, distributing files via e-mail or USB sticks is easy due to the portable Cloudfogger file format. Size: 9.4MB. Win 2000/XP/Vista/7/8. 32/64bit.
- Encryption CryptSync is a small utility that synchronizes two folders while encrypting the contents in one folder. That means one of the two folders has all files unencrypted (the files you work with) and the other folder has all the files encryptedThe synchronization works both ways: a change in one folder gets synchronized to the other folder. If a file is added or modified in . the unencrypted folder, it gets encrypted. If a file is added or modified in the encrypted folder, it gets decrypted to the other folder. It acts as a middleman between your original files and the sync folder of your cloud service. Instead of placing files directly into your cloud folder (e.g. Dropbox), put them into your designated CryptSync folder, where they will be encrypted and then copied to your cloud folder.You can set up multiple folder pairs and automatically sync or mirror files every x minutes with the selected target folder. There are also options to scramble the file names and exclude files from being synched or encrypted.The program is not limited to cloud services, you can also use CryptSync to keep an encrypted backup of your important files on a USB stick or any other portable storage device.. Size: 1024KB. Win XP/Vista/7/8.
- Encryption Gizmo Drive Mount ISO, BIN, CUE, NRG files to a virtual CD-ROM drive, Mount VHD files used with Microsoft Virtual PC, Mount password protected images to a virtual hard drive, Encrypt HD images using a passphrase, Protect vital files from hackers using encrypted HD images, Mount IMG files to a virtual drive, Mount and un-mount files from the Windows Shell, Mount and un-mount files from the command line, and Support for compression and sparse HD images. Win 95/98/ME/NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Encryption GnuPG allows to encrypt and sign your data and communication, features a versatile key management system as well as access modules for all kind of public key directories. GnuPG, also known as GPG, is a command line tool with features for easy integration with other applications. Win 95/98/ME/NT/2000/2003/XP.
- Encryption gpg4usb is a very easy to use and small portable editor to encrypt and decrypt any text message or file you want. Our aim is to give anyone the possibility to send and receive secure encrypted messages anywhere - on any computer out there, no matter if Microsoft Windows or Linux is running on it. Therefore its usage is self-describing, and the user interface as simple as possible. Portable. Size: 12.5MB. Win All.
- EULA EULAlyzer Quickly analyze End User License Agreements (EULAs). Win 2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- File Activity Monitor Moo0 FileMonitor lets you easily monitor the file access activities on your system. Have you ever wondered what's going on with your disk system behind your watch? Moo0 FileMonitor will show you what is causing your disk activity with details. Tip: You can open the containing folder by double-clicking the item. Portable version. Size: 1.82MB. Win XP/2003/Vista/7/8.
- ★Firewall - Windows Windows Firewall Notifier is a small portable tool that works in tandem with the Vista or Win7 firewall and sets it to block outgoing traffic. It will set the rules in the firewall simply by clicking to allow or not when it displays it's notification of a program attempting to call out. It doesn't always run in the background, instead, it hooks into the existing Windows Firewall infrastructure. Double-click "Console.exe" to run and enable Windows Firewall Notifier which enables the Windows Firewall (if its disabled) and sets it to block outgoing traffic by default. Then it enables the outbound connection logging feature in the WIndows Firewall and creates a scheduled task linked to the Windows Firewall events. When the Windows Firewall blocks an application from connecting, the firewall logs the event to the event log, which causes Windows Firewall Notifier to launch and display a notification, requesting your input. Windows Firewall Notifier also comes with a console (which you can use without enabling the features) which allows you to see network connections, rules, exceptions and the log. Before you delete the program folders to "uninstall," click the "Notif. Settings" button in the console window and it will give you options to revert to default settings as before you used the program or keep them. Portable. Size: 146KB. Win Vista/7/8. (Details)
- Firewall - Windows TinyWall is an add-on to the advanced firewall that comes built-in with Windows 7 and Vista. It is designed to harden the firewall protection and provide you with easy to use configuration options that do not require constant pop-ups or complicated rule settings. TinyWall comes with built-in rules that, by default, will block most incoming or outgoing connections. You can use the Whitelist features to manually allow applications, or you can use the learning mode, which will temporarily allow all traffic and automatically add the exclusions for you. TinyWall is not a standalone firewall. It acts as a front-end to the built-in Windows firewall and makes it more effective and easier to control. Size: 1MB. Win Vista/7/8.
- ★Firewall Comodo Firewall incorporates Default Deny Protection which references a list of over two million known PC-friendly applications. If a file that is not on this safe-list knocks on your PC's door, the Firewall immediately alerts you to the possibility of attacking malware. All this occurs before the malware infects your computer. It's prevention-based security, the only way to keep PCs totally safe. Easily understood and informative alerts. No complex configuration issues—perfect for amateur users. Lots of configuration options to let techies configure things just as they like. Quickly learns user behavior to deliver personalized protection. Size: 88MB. Win XP/Vista/7/8/8. 32/64bit.
- Firewall Online-Armor One of the best firewalls for XP and Vista/2008/7/8. Win XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Folder/File Lock Prevent is a freeware application which runs on all Windows. If you don't want anyone deleting or renaming or messing around with your data, maybe your younger sibling, then Prevent may be able to help you. Run the Prevent installer setup. The installer only places the Prevent folder in the system Program Files folder. A desktop shortcut will also be created. To run the program, click on Prevent. Set your Hot key to stop Prevent. Portable. Size: 353KB. Win 95/98/ME/NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Hidden Messages Bon Kyu Bon Write hidden messages in such a way that no one apart from the intended recipient knows of the existence of the message. Win 95/98/ME/NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- HiJack Detection RunScanner is a freeware windows system utility which scans your system for all running programs, autostart locations, drivers, services and hijack points. You can use Runscanner to detect changes and misconfigurations in your system caused by spyware, virusses or human errors. Warning: Runscanner requires advanced knowledge about Windows. If you delete an item, without knowing what it is, it can lead to major Windows problems. If you are not sure what to delete, post your Run file to a helper forum. It has a beginner and expert mode. Size: 2.14MB. Portable version. Win XP/Vista/7/8. 32/64bit.
- Hosts File HostsMan is a freeware application that lets you manage your Hosts file with ease. Built-in hosts file updater. Enable/Disable hosts file. Built-in hosts editor, Scan hosts for errors, duplicates and possible hijacks. Portable version. Size: 2.01MB. Win XP/2003/Vista/2008/7/8. 32/64bit.
- Hosts File Host Mechanic allows you to edit, delete or restore default Hosts file in Windows. The hosts file has been around a long time and was initially used to resolve hosts names before DNS. If you make an entry with the actual IP address for a site, navigation to the site will be a bit faster as you would not need to go through your DNS service to resolve the IP address. (your ISP automatically provides one or you can choose a filtered DNS service like Norton ConnectSafe). With the help of this tool, you can add new website IP address, URL easily and quickly to Hosts file. The tool also allows you to delete or restore default Hosts file using a single click in case it becomes corrupt due to malware or other reasons. You can also block sites with the hosts file by using a dummy address such as 127.0.0.1 as the IP address instead of the actual IP address [127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com]. The hosts file can also be edited manually using Notepad and the path to the file is C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc. Size: 201KB. Portable. Win XP/Vista/7/8/8. 32/64bit.
- Hosts File Compilation MVPS Hosts MVPS HOSTS provides a hosts file (the best rated HOSTS file on the Internet) that can be used to block ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and even most hijackers. In many cases using a well designed HOSTS file can speed the loading of web pages by not having to wait for these ads, annoying banners, hit counters, etc. to load. This also helps to protect your Privacy and Security by blocking sites that may track your viewing habits, also known as "click-thru tracking" or Data Miners. Simply using a HOSTS file is not a cure-all against all the dangers on the Internet, but it does provide another very effective "Layer of Protection". Most Windows hosts file are empty now days. If an IP address and URL are listed in the hosts file, Windows will use that to navigate to the site without using the DNS service to lookup the IP address.
- KeyLogger RamHook is free and completely open source keystroke logging application. It allows you to capture and record all keyboard input to a file. The program is extremely small and lightweight, can run in a hidden mode, upload log file to specified web server. Due to open source nature, software is secure and transparent. Captures all keyboard input. Caching and low level hooks uses minimal amount of CPU cycles. Highly customizable. Hidden mode. Windows integration. Log file uploading to remote servers. Portable. Size: 1.15MB. Win XP/Vista/7/8.
- KeyLogger Test AKLT (downloads test files) (AntiKeyLoggerTester) is a portable single executable program file that will allow you to test your computers protection from key logging malware. There are 12 tests you can perform including the ability to block screenshot tests. When you click on the first 10 tests, if you can type on your keyboard and the symbols appear in the Captured keys screen then you are not protected from that test. If you are protected, a green checkmark will appear and it will display "Nothing Intercepted Until Now" which means the test was blocked. Your anti-keylogger program should also give you an alert to allow or deny the attempt. The two screenshot tests should not be able to capture an image of your screen. The attempted screenshot capture by the program will put the jpg image on your desktop. The Firewall Leak Tester website is currently down, therefore BearWare is hosting the 169KB file.
- ★Link Scanner AVG Link Scanner checks every web page before you even click on a link with detection of suspicious sites, Protection from faulty or rogue messages and works with any anti-virus product. Unique, preventative, real-time protection. As soon as you complete a search or type a web address into your browser, AVG LinkScanner interrogates the page before it loads in your browser. If it discovers suspect code it stops you opening it. It also will scan any search results and security rate each link. You immediately know which site to trust and which to avoid.
- Key Scrambler KeyScrambler protects your login credentials, credit card numbers, passwords, search terms, Java, Flash, PDF Forms, web email and more in IE, Firefox, and Flock against known and unknown keyloggers. KeyScrambler encrypts your keystrokes in the kernel, giving keyloggers only scrambled, meaningless keys to record. It defeats known and unknown keyloggers. It works even on security compromised computers. Size: 1.2MB. Win 95/98/ME/NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Malware Analyzer X-Ray automates submission of files that you think are suspicious to 31 (Avast, AVG, Avira, Bitdefender, ClamAV, Comodo, Dr.Web, Emsisoft, ESET, CA, Fortinet, F-Prot, F-Secure, Ikarus, K7Antivirus, Kaspersky, McAfee, Microsoft, Norman, nProtect, Panda, PC Tools, Prevx, Rising, SUPERAntiSpyware, Symantec, TheHacker, VBA32, Vipre, ViRobot, VirusBuster) antivirus companies for manual analysis by virus analyst professionals with a click of a button. Able to change submission method for a particular antivirus from Settings, Test email settings, Send file to VirusTotal for scanning, Retrieve latest scan report from VirusTotal, Two methods of sending files to VirusTotal (Email and API), Automatic failover when chosen method for sending suspicious files to VirusTotal fails, Copying MD5 hash and results to clipboard via right click context menu. History (VirusTotal detection report and Analysis Submission date & time). It is recommended to use your VirusTotal API key because every public API key has a limit of 20 requests per 5 minutes. A few users simultaneously using X-Ray will easily reach the request limit for the built-in API key and you will receive the error message "Submission via API failed. Reason: exceeded API request rate". Register a free account at VT Community. Portable. Size: 1.9MB. Win XP/Vista/7/8. 32/64bit. (Download)
- ★Malware Scanner Comodo Cleaning Essentials is a set of powerful security tools designed to help users identify and remove malware and unsafe processes from Windows computers. Designed as a portable application, the software requires no installation and can be run directly from removable media such as a USB key. CCE consists of three core technologies: KillSwitch - an advanced system monitoring tool that allows users to identify, monitor and stop potentially unsafe processes that are running on endpoint systems, Autoruns - makes a thorough check on the Start-up items that are loaded during system start-up and shows them as a list with their threat rating and Malware scanner - fully featured malware scanner capable of unearthing and removing viruses, rootkits, hidden files and malicious registry keys hidden deep within a system. Portable. Size: 178MB. Win All. 32/64bit.
- ★Malware Scanner Emsisoft Emergency Kit contains a collection of programs that can be used without a software installation to scan and clean infected computers for malware. Emsisoft Emergency Kit Scanner is the powerful Emsisoft Scanner including graphical user interface. Search the infected PC for Viruses, Trojans, Spyware, Adware, Worms, Dialers, Keyloggers and other malign programs. Emsisoft HiJackFree helps advanced users to detect and remove Malware manually. With HiJackFree you can manage all active processes, services, drivers, autoruns, open ports, hosts file entries and many more. For your full control over your system. Emsisoft BlitzBlank is a tool for experienced users and all those who must deal with Malware on a daily basis. Malware infections are not always easy to clean up. These days the software pests use clever techniques to protect themselves from being deleted. In more and more cases it is almost impossible to delete a Malware file while Windows is running. BlitzBlank deletes files, registry entries and drivers at boot time before Windows and all other programs are loaded. It picks up the most false positives, but also detects the most malware. Portable. Size: 148MB. Win XP/Vista/7/8/8. 32/64bit.
- ★Malware Scanner Malwarebytes utilizes Malwarebytes powerful technology to detect and remove all traces of malware including worms, trojans, rootkits, rogues, dialers, spyware and more. Advanced Malware Detection and Removal. Industry Proven Clean-up Technologies Eradicate Existing Malware Infections. Rapid Response Malware Database and Heuristics Updates. Access to our Expert Community and Knowledgeable Support Team (Email/Forums). Chameleon Technology Gets Malwarebytes Running on Infected Systems. Size: 8.7MB. Win XP/Vista/7/8/8. 32/64bit.
- ★Malware Scanner TDSS Killer will remove malware belonging to the family Rootkit.Win32.TDSS (aka Tidserv, TDSServ, Alureon). The utility can be run in Normal Mode and Safe Mode. The utility can detect two object types: malicious (the malware has been identified) and suspicious (the malware cannot be identified). When the scan is over, the utility outputs a list of detected objects with description and automatically selects an action (Cure or Delete) for malicious objects. The utility prompts the user to select an action to apply to suspicious objects (Skip, by default). If you want to quarantine detected objects select the action Copy to quarantine and the file will not be removed! Portable. Size: 2MB. Win XP/Vista/7/8/8. 32/64bit.
- Malware Scanner SUPERAntiSpyware Portable is an anti-spyware/anti-malware product that is well known amongst computer technicians. SAS just got even better by officially releasing a portable version of their product. The portable version is almost identical to the installed version in the way that it deals with malware, except that it downloads as a single, portable file. When you download the portable version from the official website, you will probably notice it has a strange file name like "SAS-4325.COM". The reason for this is because the last 4 numbers of the file name are random. This helps prevent some of the nastier infections from closing SAS Portable when it runs. SAS Portable also comes as a .COM file instead of a .EXE file because many infections will try to prevent .EXE files from running, so it has those bases covered. SUPERAntiSpyware Portable is free, updates easily and is definitely a tool you will want to keep on your USB drive to deal with malware infections. This is a manual scanner, no real time protection. Size: 9.4MB. Win 2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Malware Scanner Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. It is compatible with your existing antivirus software. Recommended for advanced users as it it scans and removes without alerts. After this operation completes, the tool will provide you with a report of the software that was detected and removed. Note: The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. To rerun a scan with the latest anti-malware definitions, download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner again. Portable. Windows 32/64bit.
- Malware Scanner McAfee Stinger is a standalone utility used to detect and remove specific viruses. It is not a substitute for full anti-virus protection, but a specialized tool to assist administrators and users when dealing with infected system. Stinger utilizes next-generation scan technology, including rootkit scanning, and scan performance optimizations. It detects and removes threats identified under the "Threat List" option under Advanced menu options in the Stinger application. 32/64bit.
- Malware Scanner Ultra Virus Killer is a powerful free tool for manual virus removal and system repair. With simple and intuitive interface, UVK allows users to detect and delete Trojans, rootkits, malware and spyware from infected systems. It also includes lots of tools to repair windows after the disinfection. Process manager, Startup Entries and services and Drivers/Tasks, Delete file or folder, Scan and create log, Run UVK Scripts, Repair system and UVK Fixes, System Info, and Automatic anti-malware scans. The application can be set to scan with MalwareBytes, SUPERAntiSpyware, and Hitman Pro (these applications will be automatically downloaded and installed, if not already on your system). Additionally, you may choose to run Kaspersky TDSS Killer and ComboFix. The real strength of the application, in my view, lies in the repair tools which have been designed to repair Windows (if necessary), after the disinfection. On top of that - users may create and run scripts that perform complete system repair and maintenance. Portable version. Size: Win XP/Server 2003/Vista/2008/7/8. 32/64bit.
- Malware Scanner QuickScan Whenever you need a quick check or a second opinion, such as before logging into your favorite game, when using your bank account or buying something online, use QuickScan, directly from your browser. You'll need to download a browser extension (Firefox or Chrome only) or Web widget to us this. BitDefender QuickScan takes full advantage of the "in-the-cloud" scanning service and is capable to detect active malware in less than a minute, taking just a fraction of the system resources needed by a regular virus scan. Please note that Quickscan does not provide a virus cleaning service. You can use the likes of Malwarebytes to clean. This is for a very quick check.
- Malware Scanner VirusTotal Uploader enables you to directly send files from your system using the 'send to' context menu and scan it with 40 leading Anti-Virus products. You can quickly upload files that you have already downloaded, or you can submit the download URL of a file and pass it on to the service without storing the file on your computer. Manual Scanner. Size: 140KB Win All.
- Memory Analyer Memoryze is free memory forensic software that helps incident responders find evil in live memory. Memoryze can acquire and/or analyze memory images, and on live systems, can include the paging file in its analysis. In order to visualize Memoryze’s output, please download Audit Viewer. Size: 8.37MB. Win 2000/2003/XP/2008/Vista/7/8. 32/64bit.
- MS Updates PortableUpdate is a tool for updating a Microsoft Windows® computer without the necessity to be connected to any network. To update a computer disconnected from internet, PortableUpdate uses an external cache to store the updates. The cache can reside on any Usb external drive or, via Lan network, on a shared path. Once an update is copied to the cache (the only time that an internet connection is required!), the same update will be used for all computer that need that particular update. When the update is stored into the PortableUpdate cache, the program will use the standard Windows® Update API services to update your computer. As result, you can see the log update in the standard Update History Log as it was done from the normal Windows® Update site! The program will display a download progress screen when you start it for the first time. It downloads several required files from Microsoft once before the actual interface is displayed on the screen. One use is store all updates on an external drive to update a computer before it is connected to the Internet such as restoring an image or updating a fresh restage of that computer. Another use is for Windows users who do not want to use Windows Update to install updates on their system. Portable. Size: 84.7MB. Win 2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Network Plax Network Suite Collection of network tools which give you full control over the internet activity of your computer. Instant internet lockdown, turn off-on Windows XP firewall, block outbound connections, cloak your computer IP address, quickly identify unknown open ports, and active reconnaissance tool: the port scanner. Win XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Online Secure Transaction Safepay Bitdefender's Safepay is a security module that features a secure hacker-proof browser which offers a safe environment for running online transactions. It is available in two versions: Free and Premium, when compared to free version, the Premium has only one extra feature called WiFi Hotspot protection, which protects your Wifi connection and prevents hackers from accessing to your Wi-Fi connection and tracking your online activities. Portable. Size 5.4MB. Win XP/Vista/7/8 32/64bit.
- ★Onscreen Keyboard SafeKeys is another of the great ones. A very well planned and laid out on screen keyboard with the best features. 100% Key logger protection, the keyboard is not used in the creation or transfer of your passwords…ever. Great Screenlogger protection. Injection Mode. With this, you can use NSK with programs that do not usually accept drag-drop which means that you can now be protected when entering master passwords for KeePass and Roboform, and when using Opera, Excel and even World of Warcraft. Transparency and Auto-hiding when dragging dropping passwords make NSK a breeze to use. Adjustable hover entry delay just adjust how long you need to hover over a key, before it registers as a keypress, from 0.5 secs to 2.5 secs. and NSK remembers your settings from the last time you ran it. Portable. Size: 1.9 MB. Win 2k/XP/Vista/7/8.
- Optimizer True System Security Tweaker is a freeware security utility for tweaking and optimizing Windows operating system. It can simply be used as a portable application to customize and secure your PC to meet your safety requirements. You can define access level to lots of Control Panel applet functions including Desktop, Network, Passwords, Printers, System, Add/Remove Programs, etc. Use it to disable system features for certain user profiles; hide Start menu items and Open-Save dialogs options. True System Security Tweaker has got a simple but nicely designed interface for selecting over 470 security options for your system. Also the Delphi source code is available too. Portable. Size: 2.6MB. Win 2000/2003/2008/XP/Vista/7/8. 32/64bit.
- Packet Viewer WireShark Enables you to capture and examine data/packets from a live network. Portable. Win 2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Packet Viewer SmartSniff Easy program to sniff and view IP packets. Shows outbound and inbound calls. Win 98/ME/NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Password CMOS PC CMOS Cleaner is an easy-to-use tool to recover, delete, decode and display the superior passwords stored in BIOS whatever the brand is. Most types of BIOS are supported. It's an bootable CD that runs on x86 and x86_64 computers. Copy the image to a CD and boot your computer to it. Display the superior passwords of the BIOS, Remove BIOS password (will set the BIOS to default status, need reset date), or Set the BIOS to default state. It's a useful tool for users to get their lost BIOS password back, or clean passwords from an old computer bought from others. Support all x86, x86_64 Personal Computers. Support most BIOS, such as: AWARD, AMI, Compaq, Phoenix, Samsung, IBM, Compaq, DTK, Thinkpad, Sony, Toshiba and so on. Downloads as an ISO. Size: 59MB.
- Password Crack oclHashcat-plus The free password-cracking and -recovery tool oclHashcat-plus runs at 8 million guesses per second. It can handle passwords up to 55 characters. It also allows users to cut down the number of guesses required by shaping their attacks based on the password-construction protocol followed by a company or group. The download link is under the version number at the top of the page. Windows 32/64 bit and Linux.
- Password Crack ophcrack is a free Windows password cracker based on rainbow tables. It is a very efficient implementation of rainbow tables done by the inventors of the method. It comes with a Graphical User Interface and runs on multiple platforms. See below for tips of use. Win 2000/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- ★Password Manager LastPass I recommend this solution for automated password management, and form filler. The LastPass password is the last password you will ever have to remember, and you can start using very secure passwords without worrying about forgetting or managing them. Win 95/98/ME/NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Password Manager KeePass is a free open source password manager, which helps you to manage your passwords in a secure way. You can put all your passwords in one database, which is locked with one master key or a key file. So you only have to remember one single master password or select the key file to unlock the whole database. The databases are encrypted using the best and most secure encryption algorithms currently known (AES and Twofish). Portable Apps has a portable mode. Win 95/98/ME/NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Password Protect EXE Empathy is a special utility allowing you to password-protect any executable file. Empathy can modify an EXE file so that it will require a password to run. Only a person knowing the password will be allowed to run the protected program. Protected files stay protected if you copy them to another location or even to another computer, no matter which operating system do they use. It is postcardware and unless registered by sending a postcard, you can only use one letter for your password. That may be good enough. If not and you want it, you can send a free postcard using Hippopost.com. Win 2000/XP/Vista/7/8.
- Password Recovery Cain&Able Powerful password recovery tool. Win NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Password Reset PCLoginNow allows you to gain access to a Windows computer where you have lost or forgotten the administrator password, without having to reinstall Windows. It can reset Windows local account login passwords for Win NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista/7, as well as lock/disable accounts, change accounts to administrator level, and even set passwords to never expire. (It can even bypass the Window's SysKey mechanism, which was designed to prevent such password resetting activity). This software bypasses Windows altogether. To use it, download the ISO file from this location then burn it to CD (say for example using ImGBurn); next, boot into your system using the PCLoginNow CD and you should be able to do what is needed. Size: 58.5MB.
- Password Viewer Asterisk Logger can reveal the passwords stored behind the asterisks in standard password text-boxes. Win 95/98/ME/NT/2000/2003/XP.
- Password Viewer AsteriskKey Reveals passwords hidden under asterisks and works with dialog boxes and web page login forms. Win 2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Ports Viewer TCPEye is a free program that lists open TCP/IP and UDP ports. TCPEye is similar to TCPView and CurrPorts but has some unique features, such as country name display and IP location lookup. You can see what programs have opened and/or using ports for Internet communication. Size: 1.39 MB. Win XP/Vista/7/8.
- Privacy Manager [Browser Extension] Privacyfix puts you in complete control of your online privacy. The Privacyfix browser extension (Chrome and Firefox) scans for privacy issues based on your Facebook and Google settings, the other sites that you visit and the companies tracking you. Privacyfix then takes you instantly to the settings that you need to fix. Privacyfix also can warn you of new privacy issues as you surf the web, so you know when sites like Facebook change their privacy policies or have privacy breaches.
- Private Network RetroShare is a Open Source cross-platform, private and secure decentralized communication platform. It lets you to securely chat and share files with your friends and family, using a web-of-trust to authenticate peers and OpenSSL to encrypt all communication. RetroShare provides file sharing, chat, messages, forums and channels. Serverless, encrypted Chat and Filetransfer. Multiple simultaneous downloads / uploads. Search Friends. Messages. Forums. UPnP / NAT-PMP port forwarding support. GnuPG Authentication. OpenSSL Encryption. Plug-in support. User Interface written with Qt4 toolkit. System tray integration. RetroShare only allows people into your network who you exchange GnuPG certificates with (a certificate is created for you when you set up the server). Portable. Size: 14.4MB. Win XP/Vista/7/8.
- ★Process Manager Process Hacker is an advanced process manager that provides computer savvy users with a detailed, color coded overview of all running processes and services. You can review detailed properties for each process, including memory usage, handles, tokens, statistics, and helps you monitor system resources, debug software and detect malware and much more. Portable version. Size: 2.7MB. Win XP/Vista/7/8.
- Process Terminator KillProcess Create kill lists that can terminate multiple running processes at the same time. Win 2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- ★Security Check MS Malware Prevention Troubleshooter is designed to scan your computer and make recommended changes based on your current settings to provide you with the most up to date security for your Windows operating system. Building up your computer’s defenses helps secure your computer against viruses and other malicious software. Turns on your Windows Firewall. Checks your Antivirus protection status. Turns on Automatic Update. Enables Pop-up Blocker. Disables Windows Remote Registry service. Internet Explorer version check. Enables User Account Control (UAC). Resets Proxy Settings to normal. No need to install. Simply run the MicrosoftFixit.malware.Run.exe file.
- Security Font Security Font provides users with all the necessary security features while at the same time an excellent control over the look of the documents. The free package includes the security fonts based on the SANS SERIF font style. Hard to alter check amounts in dollars, pounds sterling, euros, or the yen can be printed easily. Payee names in both upper and lower case characters are supported. Security Fonts are used to print text and amounts on secure documents e.g. a bank check. These documents require capabilities to prevent forgery and easy alteration. By providing a unique background pattern of lines, start/stop characters and human readable text that appears below the actual printed text, security fonts provide capabilities to deliver a highly secure document quickly and easily. The installer installs CCodeSecuritySANS_S.ttf. To use the font, the user can simply select the font in their favorite text editor like Word or Wordpad. Win 98/ME/NT 4.0/2000/XP/2003/2008/Vista/7/8.
- Security Manager ATool Advanced security management tool which can detect and deal with all kinds of harmful programs. Win 2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- ★Software Updates SecuniaPSI designed to detect vulnerable and out-dated programs and plug-ins which expose your PC to attacks. Attacks exploiting vulnerable programs and plug-ins are rarely blocked by traditional anti-virus and are therefore increasingly "popular" among criminals. The only solution to block these kind of attacks is to apply security updates, commonly referred to as patches. Patches are offered free-of-charge by most software vendors, however, finding all these patches is a tedious and time consuming task. Secunia PSI automates this and alerts you when your programs and plug-ins require updating to stay secure. Size: 1.7MB. Win XP/Vista/7/8 32&64 bit.
- Software Updates Patch My PC is a portable single executable file designed to check your system against the current version of Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash, Mozilla Firefox, Oracle Java, Apple Quicktime, Apple iTunes, Microsoft Updates and most third party installed programs. When run, it scans your PC and lists the installed programs and color codes their version status. Red indicates an update is available. Click install updates and all selected programs are updated behind the scene. Very useful program. Portable. Size: 328KB. Win All. (Video Demo)
- Software Updates SUMo stands for Software Update Monitor and will keep your PC up-to-date by informing you of the most recent version of your favorite software. Unlike built-in auto update features, SUMo tells you if updates are available before you need to use your software. Features Automatic detection of installed software, Detects required updates or patches for your software, Filter or authorize Beta versions (user setting), Ignore list : only tracks software YOU want to track, More compatibility and less false positive than others. Portable version. Size: 1.9MB. Win XP/Vista/7/8.
- Steganography/Watermark OpenPuff is a professional steganography tool, with unique features you won't find among any other free or commercial software. OpenPuff is 100% free and suitable for highly sensitive data covert transmission. Let's take a look at its featuresis Advanced Steganography & Watermarking - Image/Audio/Video (codec independent)/Flash support - Multiple carriers chains (up to 512MB hidden stream) - Random per-chain-512bit-cryptography-algorhythms - Data whitening - Adaptive LSB + Bits selection level. It's an evolution for advanced users of traditional steganography tools. Steganography is a smart way to hide data into other files, called carriers. Modified carriers will look like the original ones, without perceptible changes. Best carriers are videos, images and audio files, since everybody can send/receive/download them without suspects. Watermarking is here stated as the action of signing a file with your copyright mark. This program does it in a steganographic way, applied to videos, images and audio files. Your copyright mark will be invisible. Portable. Size: 226 KB. Win All.
- System Hardening xpy Supporting Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008, xpy allows tweaking many default settings with only a few clicks.
- System Information and repair Tweaking.com A collection of programs by Tweaking.com to repair/restore various important functions of Windows. Programs are: Windows Repair (All In One), System Information Tool, Reset Registry Permissions, Reset File Permissions, Register System Files, Repair WMI, Repair Windows Firewall, Repair Internet Explorer, Repair MDAC & MS Jet, Repair Hosts File, Remove Policies Set By Infections, Repair Icons, Repair Winsock and DNS Cache, Remove Temp Files, Repair Proxy Settings, Unhide Non System Files, Repair Windows Updates, Auto Assign Drive Letters, Disable or Enable Data Execution Prevention (DEP), Disk Error Checking at Next Boot, Kill Frozen Programs, Simple Performance Boost, Repair CD/DVD Missing/Not Working, and Repair Volume Shadow Copy Service.
- ★System Lock Predator locks your PC when you are away, even if your Windows session is still opened. It uses a regular USB flash drive as an access control device, and works as follows: you insert the USB drive, you run PREDATOR (auto-start with Windows is possible), you do your work. When you leave your PC, you simply remove the USB drive: once it is removed, the keyboard and mouse are disabled and the screen darkens. When you return back to your PC, you put the USB flash drive in place: keyboard and mouse are immediately released, and the display is restored. It's easier and faster than closing your Windows session, since you do not have to retype your password when you return. Size: 700KB. Win XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- System Rescue SARDU (Shardana Antivirus Rescue Disk Utility) can build one multi-boot support CD, DVD or a USB device. The disk or USB device may include comprehensive collections of "antivirus rescue CD", collections of utilities, popular distributions of Linux Live, the best known Windows PE , recovery disks and Install of Windows XP , Windows Vista and Windows Seven. All you need for troubleshooting. SARDU does include a few utilities, but is primarily a tool for managing the software (ISO image files) that you download from other companies and developers, which can be also downloaded with this tool.
- Svchost Process Analyzer Svchost Process Analyzer Svchost.exe is the most mysterious process in Windows XP/Vista/2008/7/8. Svchost.exe is a generic host process name for services that run from dynamic-link libraries (DLLs). The authentic svchost.exe file is located in C:\Windows\System32, but numerous viruses and trojans use the same file and process name to hide their activities. The free Svchost Process Analyzer lists all svchost instances and checks the services they contain. This makes it easy to uncover Svchost worms like the infamous Conficker worm. Svchost Process Analyzer is a 100% freeware program from www.neuber.com. There is absolutely no installation required. Simply download and run the software. Size: 372KB. Win 2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- ★Tech Recovery Tool D7 the ultimate technician tool, from Foolish IT, LLC. It has everything from ‘one-click’ malware removal automation, Windows repair and maintenance, backup, restoration, and migration of data, as well as a slew of system tools, shortcuts to commonly used tweaks and configurations in Windows, and much more! It can keep your tools updated. Portable. Size: 17.8MB. Win XP/Vista/7/8/8. (A note of caution is in order, however. This is not a tool designed for consumer use. This is strictly for Tech use. The rest of the tools in your kit might be hacksaws, maybe even circular saws. D7 is the V8 chainsaw of the Tech world. It can do a lot of damage if you don’t know what you’re doing with it.)
- Text Encoder BCTextEncoder utility software from the makers of Jetico Personal Firewall simplifies encoding and decoding text data. Plain text data are compressed, encrypted and converted to text format, which can then be easily copied to the clipboard or saved as a text file. It uses public key encryption methods as well as password-based encryption. This utility software uses strong and approved symmetric and public key algorithms for data encryption. Write your message directly into the BCTextEncoder window or loading the text from an existing text file. After encoding the text, it can be sent to your recipient immediately, assuming the corresponding options are enabled. The leading advantage of BCTextEncoder is its support of public key encryption. Other valuable tools are also available. Portable. Size: 1.2. Win XP and higher. 32/64bit.
- ★Theft Management Prey lets you keep track of your phone or laptop at all times, and will help you find it if it ever gets lost or stolen. It's lightweight, open source software, and free for anyone to use. And it just works.
- Theft Management LAlarm is a clever anti-theft alarm software for your laptop that provides different security features to prevent your laptop from being stolen, as well as data recovery and destruction options to protect your sensitive data. The program can sound an audible alarm if someone is trying to steal your laptop, and also lock down your system if someone is trying to hack your password. Once the system has been locked down due to password tempering, the program can try to upload data from selected folders to your Gmail account and/or securely delete the content of selected folders or drives. LAlarm assumes that someone is trying to steal your computer if the power cord is unplugged or if a USB drive is removed while the system is armed. You can lock down your laptop with any USB drive by fastening a strap to the USB stick and then securing it to a table, chair, luggage or other object - if someone wants to steal your laptop, he will need to unplug the USB drive, which will activate the alarm. Other features include battery alerts, perimeter alarms (based on IP address range), email and SMS notifications, command-line executions, and more. LAlarm if free for personal use, business use requires a license. Size: 968 KB. Win XP/2003/Vista/7/8.
- Toolbar/PUP Removal Force Byte Detector is designed to quickly take care of Toolbars and PUPs (potentially unwanted programs!) If you are not very careful when installing software, a toolbar can be installed on your computer without you noticing. Most of the time the toolbar will not be completely uninstalled if you try to uninstall it. Your start page is still hijacked and you are getting advertisements and other things. This program protects your computer in real-time against BHOs, PUPs, and has Privacy, Script, and AdBlock Guards. There is a Cleanup tool with which you can automatically or manually remove these items if found during a scan. You can turn on or off the real-time protection. Portable. Size: 3MB. Win Vista/7/8. (Not tested on XP.)
- Virtualization Toolwiz Time Freeze makes virtualization very easy to use. When you run the program, it virtualizes your system and you have two exit options after your session: reject all changes, which requires a reboot, or accept all changes, which can take a few minutes. It's an effective Instant system restores software to keep your system safe and protect your computer from unwanted changes.It can also protect your files and folders from changes and provide password protection.It makes virtualization very easy to use. It clones your system, creating fully working copies that you can use normally (or abnormally) without risking your "real" system.It puts the actual system under protection and creates a virtual environment for system partition, on which you run applications and surf the internet. It provides higher-level security to computer protection, and greatly improves the efficiency of virtual system. Size: 1MB. Win XP/Vista/7/8. 32/64bit.
- Virtualization BufferZone creates an isolated environment called the Virtual Zone. You will see a thin red border around any window that is currently run from the Virtual Zone. The Virtual Zone "buffers" your PC from all forms of known or unknown attacks that originate from the Internet and external devices. All of your private information is secured in a trusted and separated virtual environment. It allows you to do anything on the Internet threat free. Safely download anything, open email attachments, e-Bank, e-Shop, browse, utilize USB devices, P2P downloads or sharing, or chat, etc. in an isolated (virtualized) zone. Schedule periodic flushes of the Virtual Zone. Lock your personal files in confidential folder inside a trusted zone. Important software upgrades pass automatically into the trusted zone. Take a snapshot of the Virtual Zone for one-step restore. The entire process is seamless and fully automated. With BufferZone, all programs or files that enter your computer through downloading, browsing or uploading with external media devices are redirected to a Virtual Zone (C:\Virtual). C:\Virtual is a special directory in your computer's registry that keeps external programs and files in an isolated environment, separated from your trusted personal files and your PC's operating system. If your favorite programs are not protected by default, you can easily add them to the list. You can also run any previously downloaded file or program inside the Virtual Zone by choosing the option from the Explorer right-click menu. Size: 15MB. Win XP/Vista/7/8.
- Virtualization Returnil Creates a Virtual Partition in which you can surf safely. Erase all traces on reboot. Win 2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- Virtualization Sandboxie Prevents malware loading on hard drive by surfing in a virtual sandbox. The free version has a nag screen and only allows one sandboxed session at a time. 2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
- WiFi Management Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector is a powerful tool for managing and troubleshooting the Wi-Fi on your network. Built in tests enable you to characterize the integrity and performance of your Wi-Fi connection. Applications include: Searching for Wi-Fi networks, Managing and troubleshooting Wi-Fi connections, Verifying Wi-Fi coverage, Locating Wi-Fi devices, and Detecting rogue APs. Win XP/Vista/7/8. 32/64bit.
- WiFi Security Zamzom is a Wireless network tool which will find out the people who are using your wireless connection very quickly. After installation, when you will run it, its main window displays your computer name, MAC address, IP address and wireless ip range. If something is wrong, you can edit it using the option edit. Requires .NET. Win 2000/XP/Vista/7/8.
- WiFi Shield Hotspot Shield Hide your IP while you're on-line, access all content without censorship, bypass firewalls, Protect yourself from snoopers at Wi-Fi hotspots, hotels, airports, corporate offices and ISP hubs. Also has an IPhone version. This nifty tool can also be used to watch U.S. only websites when abroad, like Hulu. Win 2000/XP/Vista/2008/7/8.
Remove Malware Free 2013 Edition
Mrizos (Matt) provides a very good video tutorial on how to remove any malware using free tools.
Malware behavior analysis
- Avira Online Analysis
- Comodo Instant Malware Analysis
- Comodo Valkyrie
- EUREKA Malware Analysis Internet Service
- F-Secure Online Analysis
- GFI Sandbox
- GFI Threat Track
- Malwr Analysis
- Norman SandBox
- NSI Sandbox
- Upload Malware
Online Malware Files Scan
Hardware versus Software Firewalls
HTG Explains: I Have a Router, Do I Need a Firewall? This is a very good article with a general explanation of the differences and benefits of a hardware firewall and software firewall.
Reveal Hidden Passwords
No external program is required to reveal passwords hidden by asterisks in most modern browsers. Right-click the password field in your browser and then choose “Inspect Element.” This will open the document inspector window and all you have to do is replace the word “password” with “text” in the script revealed. This changes the type of the input field from “password” to “text” and hence the password is revealed as the text input fields are never masked. Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox and Safari. (In the case of IE, press F12 to open the Developer Tools window and then press Ctrl+B to activate the element selection mode.)
News and Information
Probably the Best Free Security List in the World...This outstanding list has been compiled by one of Gizmo's senior security editors, Antti Koponen. The products are listed with the best free products first (non-free products are always at the bottom of each category).
Alt.comp.virus information pages...Topics on this site range from anti-virus software, viruses, virus removal and virus myths to spyware, firewalls and general computer security..
Virus test files are available from EICAR and are harmless but provide a means to test your security suites' effectiveness.
Trojan test files For years you have been able to test your virus scanner with the harmless Eicar test file. Using the just released Trojan Simulator you can now test your trojan scanner in the same manner, using a harmless demonstration Trojan. This is a risk-free way to see how your security software behaves in a real-world situation.